1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top tips for behaviour management (Primary)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bumble-bee89, May 6, 2011.

1. Hi, I've posted this in another forum and didn't get too many replies so thought I'd try here. I'm not a supply teacher however I am currently looking for my first post. Yesterday I had an interview and taught a 15 minute lesson and felt that my behaviour management was really poor, which is unusual for me as I'm usually fairly strong in this area.
    Do you have any tips for behaviour management when working with groups of children you don't know?

2. darkness

darkness New commenter

The thing is, it is all very well saying let the children know you are in charge, but the underlying issue is still there. the question is, how do you actually do that?

I am not an expert either, but have done quite a lot of supply work, and behaviour is a major issue nearly all the time.

There are always ring leaders involved, sometimes a look over at such people means you have the whole group around the individual or class knowing you are now boss. The ring leader sees you know, and they stop, followed by everyone else.

low level disruption, be on top of it, you can sometimes tell them to be quite, which works, but don't you find after a few minutes it all starts back up again? Now what do you do? The key really is the work given. Emphasis it has to be done or lose the break. It has to be work to last the whole lesson. not enough work only adds to the behaviour problems. You can't say this is the only solution, everything is all linked together, but certainly, a poor lesson content means more bad behaviour.

3. If you get that delightful interview lesson slot that's the end of the morning when the kids have been 15 minuted to death - you're onto a loser anyway to be honest. They've had to sit there and have one off activity after activity with teachers they know they're not going to see again - it's crud anyway.
    Biggest thing I've found is self-belief... if you start to feel wobbly, then you start to wobble. Get a few names nailed quickly (normally the "personalities" identify themselves within a few minutes), keep them busy before they've got a chance to act up. With noise often I find they need a level of acceptable to compare themselves to - so I'll tell them, you can all hear me talking in this voice, so to be heard by the people on your table do you need to be at the same volume, higher or lower.... it still escalates naturally - but it starts from a lower point and stays there for longer. If it's really bad - the choice of working in silence or working quietly. I also often point out that they can choose the type of day they have - if they're sensible then we can have a bit of a giggle, some fun and some smiles, but if they're being rude or misbehaving - then they make the choice that I have to be stern and strict... putting it that way around - that their behaviour controls the type of teacher they get often does seem to work. I often use the "we've got this work that we have to get through - if we fuss about and I have to keep stopping it won't get done, if we all crack on and get on with it we'll hopefully have a quick 5 minutes at the end for a game of some kind" carrot - that one works too (apart from you then get about 10 of them wanting to dibsey their place as "on" for heads down thumbs up or whatever)!
    With younger ones - things like stickers, praising those who do comply works wonders.
    But yeah with the interview lessons sometimes you can be quite nicely set up to fail.