1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top ten books that reception MUST hear, suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by aquapalmerfish, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi, our head has asked each teacher to provide him with a list of 10 books that each class MUST hear- just for the love of reading and enjoyment! Oldies and brand spanking new titles are all applicable. I just wondered what titles you would have on your list for Reception. Once complied the head will by the set for each class (that's my class, unfortuantely not all of yours, lol!!! ). Thanks in anticipation x

2. Hi, our head has asked each teacher to provide him with a list of 10 books that each class MUST hear- just for the love of reading and enjoyment! Oldies and brand spanking new titles are all applicable. I just wondered what titles you would have on your list for Reception. Once complied the head will by the set for each class (that's my class, unfortuantely not all of yours, lol!!! ). Thanks in anticipation x

3. Favourites with my kids at that age were:

Room on the Broom
    Hug (bit short on words!!)
    Three Little Pigs (or any other traditional tales)
    Can't you sleep little Bear?
    Harry and the bucketful of Dinosaurs
    Dear Zoo
    Thomas the tank engine (the original stories)
    The Snow Queen
    The very hungry caterpillar
    Little Wolf's Book of Badness

4. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi. I've left some of the main stories out (Hungry caterpillar, Gruffalo, as assume each class would already have them). My list would be The Rainbow Fish, Cleversticks, Tiddler, Owl Babies, Pants & More Pants, Eliot Jones Midnight Superhero, Peace at Last, The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch, Don't Forget the Bacon, Pumpkin Soup

5. I love must of the books mentioned too,
    don't think who's in the shed or the kissing hand was mentioned
    oldies are goldies too and Chickem licken always goes down a storm1

6. Pigs Might Fly - The Further Adventures of the Three LIttle PIgs by Jonathan Emmett and Steve Cox

The Giant Jam Sandwich by John Vernon Lord and Janet Burroway

Libray Lion by Michelle Knudsen and Kevin Hawkes

Each year my class loves these books!

7. Other than the obvious ones (The Gruffalo, We're Going on a Bear Hunt, The Very Hungry Caterpillar etc) our favourites are:-
    - Little Rabbit Foo Foo
    - Pants
    - Shark in the Park
    - George and the Dragon
    - Anything else by Julia Donaldson (especially Monkey Puzzle, Stick Man, Zog, Room on the Broom, Night Monkey Day Monkey, The Princess and the Wizard, What the Ladybitrd Heard)
    - Giraffes Can't Dance
    - Aliens Love Underpants

8. butties

butties New commenter

Rattletrap Car, Someone Bigger and Dirty Bertie are favourites with us.

9. Hungry Caterpillar, Bad-tempered Ladybird, Brown Bear Brown Bear (all Eric Carle)
    Three Pigs (any version), Enormous Turnip, Jasper's Beanstalk, Jack and the Beanstalk, Dogger, Hairy MaClary books, Mem Fox books.

10. Anything by Mick Inkpen - The Blue Ballon, any of the Kipper books (espec. Kipper's Birthday and Kippers Toybox) The Great Pet Sale
    Arrrgghh Spider!
    Aliens Love Underpants
    The Jolly Postman
    Giraffes Can't Dance
    Mr Men Stories
    Owl Babies
    The Tiger Who Came To Tea
    Each Peach Pear Plum