1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top set classes being taken away from me because I had time off sick

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by CandyHowes, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi all

Title says it all really. I am an English teacher who also teaches A level Media and KS3 drama (am trained and have experience in both). Before Xmas I had 5 weeks off for a double slipped disc. I teach in a non selective indy school.
    I've been told that next year I will be teaching A level media classes, A level drama (new spec) and will also have yr 10 and yr 11 GCSE English classes. I think that will kill me off!!! I breiefly spoke with my line manager about it today who is not sympathetic and went down the ' it says in your contract any other duties as the Head sees fit' route.
    So, I asked if it would be possible to as least keep my very lovely, very hard working year 8 top set and she replied that she wanted to swap them out because they had been significantly disadvantaged by my absence, whereas at the start of the year she said that I would keep them right through to year 11.The only thing she will ever talk to me about is my bloody absence and the effect it's having. During the time I was off my class did an independent project - that was all!!! They have made at least 1 entire level's progress this year and many have gone up by 2 NC levels. We have such a good relationship (students and parents) and I would hate to lose them as some sort of punishment for being off sick - is this what it is???

Sorry for all the errors that I know people will spot - I am so angry I'm shaking, plus I'm late for playground duty.

Any and all thoughts gratefully accepted

2. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

I am sure we would all like to pick and choose which classes we taught, I teach 3 subjects to exam level and just see it as part of my job. That is what I am paid to do so I just do it

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As a former Head of a large, selective HMC school, I can understand that you would prefer to teach the same group that you have enjoyed so much, and continue with similar classes.
    But I can also see the school's point of view, which is that they have to deploy staff to ensure that all pupils achieve, and that the school achieves its budget botton line.
    Both these reasons can justify moving you, I'm afraid.
    Sorry not to give you the answer that you asked for!
    You have also been given 14 or more weeks' notice of this timetable. I doubt if the additional preparation for the classes that you have next year will be anything like the preparation that faced you as a NQT. You are now more experienced and competent, so should cope very well with this.
    There are schools out there who are deploying History teachers to teach GCSE English, and just about anybody to teach Yr 7 Maths, so count yourself lucky!
    Best wishes for the half term.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

.........I've been told that next year I will be teaching.....

I missed this bit!

I can only dream of finding out in May what my classes are for next year. Last year I think I found out as i was leaving or it may have been when I bothered to come in on results day. I have had my timetable changed at xmas to accommodate an absent colleague, ended up teaching out of my subject so as theo says, be grateful for what you have

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I can understand that it must be frustrating having your absence rammed in your face every time you try to discuss your timetable. However, eventually your hod will have something different to think about
    However, schools need to shuffle the teachers around for lots of reasons. It is good for students to have a range of teachers as each teacher brings something different to their teaching. In my department, we often encourage students (especially sixth form) to talk to someone different if they get bogged down.
    I have had a mix of students not entirely to my choice following ill health. I try though to take the timetable that is given to me. I haven't had every bottom set going since my first school ever such a long time ago.
    P