1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top resources for Creative and Inspirational RE - Help!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by patersoncaroline55, Jan 19, 2012.

1. patersoncaroline55

patersoncaroline55 New commenter

We have the opportunity to bid for curriculum development money from a £10k pot for all departments. Does anyone have any top tips for resources or IT that would be worth bidding for? We can't request normal day to day resources e.g. textbooks or stationary. Looking to be more creative and inspirational are there any ideas that would need IT or other resources to add value to the RE department and further motivate students. Many thanks in advance for your ideas on this.

2. patersoncaroline55

patersoncaroline55 New commenter

We have the opportunity to bid for curriculum development money from a £10k pot for all departments. Does anyone have any top tips for resources or IT that would be worth bidding for? We can't request normal day to day resources e.g. textbooks or stationary. Looking to be more creative and inspirational are there any ideas that would need IT or other resources to add value to the RE department and further motivate students. Many thanks in advance for your ideas on this.

3. "Glo Bible" is apparently great - I haven't had a chance to use it but friends of mine have. It's just a piece of software (I think someone I was talking to said it was about £60) that has the whole Bible on it, and when you bring up a passage it also brings up key points, images, videos, virtual tours, 3D maps...

I know they were using it linked to interactive whiteboards, but even if you don't have an interactive boadr you can navigate it through a PC or Mac.

4. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

trips out to visit places of worship or pilgrimage and bringing in visitors from different groups would be my priority. I'm always reminding the students that RE is about life, about real people, and can't be learned from a textbook.

Also perhaps an RE day or RE week if your school can free up the time. One excellent RE Day I've helped with was for year 11 the week after their mock exams. The whole day classes rotated through a carousel of different activities given by local churches / religious groups, religious charities etc I led a group which used my Conversation Cards to promote discussion and reflection.

Contact Sue Philips re creating Theatre of Learning experiences. You might also like to invest in some beautiful posters for the walls and corridors around the RE rooms. I got some great pictures of different races and cultures from UNESCO plus big poster-size 'holy pictures' from the different religions which formed a frieze around the top of the walls - with info about them below these. We had Sikh Guru's Hindu Deities, the Buddha, Jesus, and traditional images of Muslim and Jewish worship, the Kabb'a and Mosques etc I would sometimes use these in teaching or for a starter or quiz, but mostly they just gave the room a very strong spiritual energy.
    Lower down on the walls we had the usual informative posters and examples of students work.

One boy, coming into my classroom for the first time, when I had it decorated like this, stopped at the door and asked, 'Is this a temple, Miss?' I said 'no, it's a university.'.