1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top judge leads calls to scrap mandatory daily Christian worship in UK schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Dec 6, 2015.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sounds common sense to me:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/dec/06/religious-teaching-school-assemblies-axe-report

Schools should no longer face a legal requirement to provide daily acts of worship of a Christian character, under radical reforms being proposed by a top-level inquiry into the place of faith in multicultural Britain.

The Commission on Religion and Belief in British Public Life, led by former high court judge Elizabeth Butler-Sloss, also recommends curtailing the segregation of children by faith and a radical overhaul of the teaching of belief to make it more realistic and relevant in a diverse and increasingly secular country.

Middlemarch and Compassman like this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Come on then, FF, how else are children expected to get their ethics if not by immersion in a nice, warm shallow pond of Christianity at school?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Having some experience of a faith school for the last decade I can safely say that the daily act of worship was paid lip service and only about 40% actually receive it.

While not supporting it, I'm not that bothered about it. Not sure why it has to be Christian when other faiths have their faith schools.

4. Vince_Ulam

It is possible for a school to get a determination to adopt a different religious character.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah... was under the impression it had to be Christian...

Can it adopt a humanist character? :)

6. Vince_Ulam

I'm not sure anyone has tried. 'Humanists' only seem interested in telling people what they can't do (ironically enough) and not so interested in doing anything useful themselves.

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

My last school was a CoE Academy and insisted on Act of Worship to the extent that they did Act of Worship observations and graded them 1 to 4. I refused to do the Act of Worship (as was my right). I knew my card was marked.

Oh and many of the so called Christian senior staff rarely practised what they preached.

This out of date Act should be repealed and there should be no faith schools of any denomination.

Middlemarch, lanokia and FrankWolley like this.
  8. George_Randle

George_Randle Senior commenter