1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top girls for AS edexcel unit 1 text????

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by chickenlicken, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am considering teaching Top girls in relation to Brecht as a practitioner for one of the texts for unit 1 but have some reservations after being told it could be too complex a play, and too naturalistic to be taught in the light of Brecht.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone teach it or have you taught it in the past? Does it work if there are males in the class? Has anyone got any resources or SOW I might be able to take a look at?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Good luck for the new school year everyone!!

2. Never taught Top girls, but I have taught Fen (which I prefer) successfully for Unit1. churchill is the most obviously brechtian playwright we have, I guess, but primarily because of her use of episodic STRUCTURE (as opposed to content/ dialogue) and her overtly political mien - many of the individual scenes (particularly with her earlier plays) are uber-naturalistic - she was the first writer to use the (now ubiquitous) forward slash to denote the next speaker, creating that sense of real, human, stuttering dialogue. But there is enough, I think, to make her worth studying as a Brechtian writer...

3. thingwall

thingwall New commenter

I've done Top Girls several times as an A Level piece - it works really well. There are lots of sows around and it's on in London at the moment.