1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top Concerns September 2017

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sarah_dann1, Sep 18, 2017.

1. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Dear all,

I hope you have had a positive return to work after the summer holiday. You're never too far from the next break!

I thought it might be helpful to open a post to invite people to share their top concerns (and then advice and tips from others!) as we start back. September can be a really positive time with thoughts turning to new goals and routines but it can also be really challenging and disheartening. I also personally find it strangely lonely after a summer filled with friends and family - returning to professional ways can mean closing down some of your own thoughts as you focus on how to work with your new classes/subjects/colleagues etc.

So, in terms of behaviour what issues, or potential problems, have been identified so far? Can we offer any help?

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You do know that there is a spider on your right shoulder, don't you?

george1963 and sabrinakat like this.
  3. sarah_dann1

Terrifying eh!

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

Hi. I am making lots of headway with my class in the mornings, they play beat the teacher and if I have to speak to them about their chatting on the carpet or messing about at tables I get a point, if they are doing the right thing, they get a point. This works well in the morning. But on Thursday afternoons we have PE then geography. They have a sports coach who is fab but they love PE so much they get really hyper and then geography is a complete disaster as I spend more time waiting for them to be listening than I do teaching. Also some children seem to lose all patience with each other of an afternoon so group/partner work is not great either. Any suggestions?

pepper5 likes this.
  5. sarah_dann1

Ah the post-PE trouble! I can picture the struggle!

Do you have much control over the timetable for your class? Is it possible to do something else in this time? That would seem the most straightforward fix. Something that you know would suit the mood - whether that would be an independent project - maybe something that spans half a term and involves a variety of tasks they complete at their own pace. You could then do some targeted work with individuals during this time. How old are your students? Or something energetic or simply another subject they tend to enjoy/look forward to.

Maybe something creative would suit this time better? Or something more physical? What else in your timetable would you be able to swap without impacting anyone else? Then even if you don't usually have the power to make those changes, you could put the case to SLT?

If this is not possible, could you introduce some sort of 10 minute wind down/switch over activity to lead into the geography lesson? Something like P4C - Philosophy for Children. You could harness their energy immediately upon their return to class to set the room up with all the chairs in a circle and then begin with topics that could be linked to your geography curriculum. Check out the P4C website for more information and ideas on this. I've found it worked well with certain classes. If they did well with the concept, it might also help with their patience with each other in the long run.

I know some schools use yoga and mindfulness sessions, although i haven't done so myself. Maybe a short burst of something in the classroom to help the transition could be useful. You essentially need them to calm down so you could discuss with them what they find relaxing and see if there is anything you could use. For example playing a particular piece of music whilst they draw for 5 minutes. You could turn it into a class sketchbook project perhaps.

Do you think any of these would work for your students?

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

Thank you for the advice. I have complete control over my timetable so would be able to swap the slot to something else. I like the sound of the P4C will look it up.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. RavenGirl758

RavenGirl758 New commenter

Hello Sarah,

I'm an NQT and I'm struggling particularly with year 8s. The main issue is low level disruption (chatting, talking over me etc) and sometimes it feels like a majority of the class are misbehaving so I cant send them all out (equally I don't want to punish all of them because there are a few kids trying to learn). I have two groups back to back which are quite similar and draining in terms of just getting them quiet. One group, i know, is known in the school as difficult. I hope to observe them with other teachers but don't have a corresponding free until after I teach them again so any tips?

Thank you

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Have you ha's a chance to read "Year 11 Class from Hell" thread which is just above this one. There is some very useful advice in that thread which you could try.