1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top 5 best party games for an Early Years class?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Rainy1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Pass the Parcel,
    Musical statues (bumps or chairs)
    Pin the nose on the snowman

plus the reindeer hokey cokey, a dancing competition and a good old sing song are always popular in our reception parties

2. We always play a Christmas version of corners!

3. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

Corners?

4. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

we play musical xmas trees. Cut out about 6-8 trees from large sugar paper, put on floor. Children have to stand on a tree when music stops . If not on a tree they are out. Take a tree away as numbers go down like in musical chairs

5. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

we play all the old ones like musical bumps as well as statues
    sleeping lions

But for reception children (as too much for nursery) here is a great game we play at the holiday camp where I also work:

make a circle of chairs with children sitting outwards..................... you pass a balloon as you would a parcel, when the music stops the child holding the balloon is out and you also remove their chair. As more and more chairs are removed and the children are having to leave their chair to pass it to the next person quickly, it becomes great fun. This was a really popular game with all ages.

6. The children in my Reception class really enjoy playing the chocolate game - not with a bar of chocolate and a knife and fork but with a bowl of maltesers and spoons.
    Just in case you've never played it -
    Sit in a circle with hat, scarf and gloves in the middle and a bowl of maltesers with plenty of spoons.
    Children pass round a dice and each roll it - if they get a 6 they can have a turn - they must put on all the clothes and then pick up 1 malteser at a time with a spoon - meanwhile other children continue to pass and roll the dice.

7. Found this thread and hoped that I could resurrect it and get some more great ideas for party games for Reception children!

Which songs do you sing during the party?

8. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Our children like all those mentioned plus The Grand Old duke of York or Oranges and Lemons. This year we bought a Black Lace CD - for us oldies in school and we have been practising songs like Agadoo, Superman and The birdie song - Both kids and staff love them!

9. My class always loves playing 'Who's under the blanket?' The children sit in a circle and you choose one child to go out of the room. You choose another child to hide under a blanket in the middle of the circle. The child comes back into the classroom and tries to guess who is under the blanket.