1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Advert Complaints 2015

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

THE TOP TEN MOST COMPLAINED ABOUT ADVERTS OF 2015

1. Moneysupermarket.com. Denim hot pants and high heels.

Complaints: 1,513 complaints. Not upheld

2. Booking.com. TV and cinema ad showing people arriving to holiday hotspot and appeared to use the word 'booking' as substitute for a swear word.

Complaints: 683. Not upheld

3. Paypal (UK) Ltd. Christmas shopping ad accused of revealing truth about Father Christmas.

Complaints: 464. Not upheld

4. Booking.com. TV featuring man jumping off a boat and swimming to shore appeared to use the word 'booking' as substitute for a swear word.

Complaints: 407 complaints. Not upheld.

5. Protein World Ltd. Poster with model in bikini and slogan 'Are You Beach Body Ready?'.

Complaints: 380. Not upheld.

6. British Heart Foundation. Child talking in a classroom to father who died from a heart attack.

Complaints: 219. Not upheld.

7. Booking.com. TV ad showing the story of a couple who met at a hotel appeared to use the word 'booking' as substitute for a swear word.

Complaints: 201. Not upheld.

8. Department of Health. Anti-smoking TV ad showing a cigarette containing blood and flesh.

Complaints: 181. Not upheld.

9. Nicocigs Ltd. Electronic cigarette ad accused of making the devices seem appealing to children

Complaints: 145 complaints. Not upheld.

10. XLS Medical/Omega Pharma. TV ad for diet slimming pills.

Complaints: 136. Upheld.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...complained-commercial-2015.html#ixzz40zq3ejx8

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Those Booking ones were very irritating. I'm surprised a man in hot pants gets the highest number.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Some people have too little to worry about if that's what they're doing with their time!

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

All seems pretty fair to me.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, I suppose most people would be pleased if Sharon Osbourne were to be removed permanently from our small screens. Fair play. ;)

cissy3 likes this.
  6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I loathed the man in hot pants and the subsequent one even more. It didn't occur to me to complain about it though.

Dragonlady30 and RedQuilt like this.
  7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I thought the hot pants one was brilliant! They certainly shouldn't have attempted a pale copy of it though.
    I wasn't happy about the "booking" ads but thought the dead father one really moving.
    If I were ever to feel so strongly about ads (which I mainly fast-forward through anyway) that I was moved to send in a complaint, it would be regarding the number of incentives to gamble away the family budget.

cissy3, Dragonlady30 and lindenlea like this.
  8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I confess I hated the man in hotpants and heels one. I also hated the booking.com ones in the same way I hate the **** logo.

But I didn't complain.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The most ridiculous advert ban I remember was the Benetton baby one. Who could be offended by that?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

People watch these things?

aspensquiver_2 and delnon like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Not really @lanokia, but if you're watching in 'real time' you can't really avoid them. I prefer to be able to scroll through them.

sabrinakat likes this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Agreed. There was one a couple of years ago that showed a woman in a dressing gown shooing her husband off to work so she could get on with the online Bingo.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I complained to the ASA about a poster ad on our high street for diet Red bull. The ad claimed it was an energy drink and at the same time claimed it only contained 7 calories. I complained on the grounds that it could not be promoted as an energy drink if it didn't contain any energy. My complaint was not upheld!

cissy3 likes this.
  14. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I did too. It was how often it was on that I really couldn't stand. I feel that way about that Galaxy advert now and I have to reach for the flicker as soon as I see that Twinings one to hig mute before that awful 'Prego Prego' song starts. Abysmal! Im sick of those damned rat things with fake Russian accents too.

Alf58 and cissy3 like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I once complained about an overly long, boring, overtly biased and lie-filled TV advert.

The Advertising Standards Authority refused to accept my complaint as they said I had been watching a party political broadcast.

Noja, delnon, sabrinakat and 6 others like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I mute them and read. The wife nudges me when the programme has restarted.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The booking.com ads in which 'booking' was clearly a substitute for a swear word annoyed me a great deal. I wish I'd complained about them now, even though the complaints were not upheld.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well stone me!

I wonder how we kids of the 1950s have managed to survive!!

[​IMG]

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Meerkats, if I may be allowed to say so, without being accused again by you of starting 'a slagfest' as I 'always do'. What is a slagfest anyway?)

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I used to love those sweetie fags. Me and my best friend Marlene Pink used to walk along smoking them and actually believing grown ups thought we were puffing away on real ones.

cissy3 likes this.