1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tooth grinding and jaw clenching

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by miss_chanandlerbong, Jun 13, 2018.

1. miss_chanandlerbong

miss_chanandlerbong New commenter

Hello all,

Just found out that I have bruxism which is teeth grinding or clenching that my dentist says is exacerbated by my job (as soon as I said I was a teacher he gave me a very pitying look!). As a result of this I’ve been booked in for an emergency root canal and crown to fix my poor cracked teeth - straight after an interview for a new teaching role tomorrow! I feel like I should be running in the opposite direction if teaching truly is what’s causing this.

Has anyone else had stress related tooth problems or any other physical symptoms of stress? How do you manage it?

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Yup

Not quite to the point where my teeth are cracked but painful and causes terrible headaches too. Dentist made me a mount guard...

Should wear it really

miss_chanandlerbong likes this.
  3. miss_chanandlerbong

miss_chanandlerbong New commenter

Have you ever tried anything to tackle the stress itself?

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Yes... I have been lifting weights - for about a year- and running for about four.

Does help.

I manage when it's bad with ibrufen but the job ain't getting any easier!

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I've just got a mouth guard too. I wasn't aware of grinding my teeth but the dentist reckons I do - if you find yourself clenching your teeth during the day, then you probably grind them at night.

She said one of her patients wears a mouth guard when she's driving to work - it must be a nasty commute!

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I do this, to the point of a sore mouth often! I try to be more aware of it and put my tongue between my teeth. This does help and it’s becoming a less conscious action the more I do it.

7. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Yep I lost some teeth due to grinding and then cracking. You need a mouth guard and to tackle the source of your stress.

8. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Yep. Again not to the point of damaging my teeth. My dentist just gave me a knowing nod when I said I was a teacher. Apparently it's quite a common teacher complaint. I wear a mouthguard at night. My headaches have pretty much gone and jaw pain is a lot better.