1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too Soon?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Deans_Body, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Deans_Body

Deans_Body New commenter

When I started teaching I had aspirations of being SENCO. I set myself this as a target for 5-7 years into my career, but also wanted to remain in the classroom as long as possible.
    I work in a school where I feel valued and have built up a good rep for myself. I've been here for 4 years since qualifying
    Cutting to the chase, the SENCO position has become available. I have discussed with the head, who said she'd welcome my application for part time senco, part time class teacher.
    I'm just wondering whether it's a case of perfect job too soon?
    I don't feel experience in SEN is a problem as I have a further 5 years experience of working with SEN children.

Just not sure if i'm ready to leave full time teaching...

Thoughts?
    (I think I've made up my mind - just want others' thoughts)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, my view is that we cannot possibly tell you what would be best as (a) we don't know you and (b) we don't know exactly what the Head wants!

My only suggestion is that (a) you look very carefully at the Job Description and Person Specification to ensure that you meet the criteria, and (b) that when/if you decide to apply, you come over to Jobseekers to ask for advice on the application.

Best wishes

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As Theo says, it's different strokes for different folks! It sounds to me like you've got good experience with SEN - which is more than many who take on the SENCO role have - and although you don't feel you've been a classroom teacher long enough (hurrah! Someone who sees the value of teaching experience!), in recent years people have become headteachers with LESS!

Half teaching half SENCO is a good mix. I don't know you, but your sensible approach to your career makes me admire you and I can see why the head values you.

midnight_angel likes this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It sounds ideal.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Apply and find out?

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. allyrodi@aol.com

allyrodi@aol.com New commenter

If the head teacher is happy for you to apply, I d say you have the qualities necessary for the job. Lots and lots of admin, professional meetings, consultations, work with outside agencies, observations, training, report writing, LA meetings and forums. Working as a teacher part time as well as a SENco may be too much to chew on at once. Good advice to check the job description. May need assistance with the admin. Hope this helps.

7. Katierobertson

Katierobertson New commenter

Good luck! I like SEN as it is interesting work. You are very keen and more experienced than most so go for it!

8. Deans_Body

Deans_Body New commenter

Thanks, I know that it's hard to make a decision for me, but advice has be-en helpful.
    After looking over the job and person spec, I've decided to go for it.
    There is a great SEN team to support me (If I'm successful). So fingers crossed!
    I'm hoping that by staying in the class I'll also be able to do two things;
    - Carefully think about teacher workload, and not ask for the world at the wrong time (and pre-empting deadlines for the first time in my life).
    - Practice what I preach!

Argh... Here goes!

9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think you have made the right decision. For me you probably have the experience and you can't always choose the 'perfect moment' you have to go when the job becomes available. Good luck!