1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too soon?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fur, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Fur

Fur New commenter

I have seen an advert for an Assistant Head position at a really nice Catholic Primary school, however I am not sure if I have enough experience.
    I am in my 6th year of teaching, have successfully been through threshold and have a TLR for EMA (specifically new to english). I have previously held this post for a year unpaid and also been a DT coordinator, again, unpaid. I have taught Reception, Year 2, 3 and 5

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. Fur

Fur New commenter

I have seen an advert for an Assistant Head position at a really nice Catholic Primary school, however I am not sure if I have enough experience.
    I am in my 6th year of teaching, have successfully been through threshold and have a TLR for EMA (specifically new to english). I have previously held this post for a year unpaid and also been a DT coordinator, again, unpaid. I have taught Reception, Year 2, 3 and 5

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

3. What does the advert ask for in terms of experience? Usually they would ask for some evidence of leading a whole school development. You have a good range of year groups under your belt which will definetly be in your favour.

4. Fur

Fur New commenter

2 years experience as a phase leader / subject leader, which I think I can cover with my EMA / DT coordinator roles.
    Increasingly I find myself as the other experienced teacher in a year group team, so I get some of the phase leader's stuff unofficially passed over to me.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

What does the phase leader role involve in your school?
    Could you show an area ( a project maybe) where something you've done has had an impact school wide?
    Have you managed many staff?
    What does the person spec say? Is there anything on there which you think you can't handle?

6. Fur

Fur New commenter

Last year when I was doing the role unpaid, I managed the TAs who ran the EMA language groups, though planning their activities and observing their groups. I have introduced the QCA extended steps scale for assessment.
    Since having a TLR for the role I am now line managed by someone different who is more controlling and there fore I have only constructed a multilingual welcome display, introduced a welcome pack for new arrivals and arranged translators for parents evening.
    For the last 2 years I have noticed that because I am the other experienced teacher in the team I have worked in, the phase leader has unofficially passed some of their work to me.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You need to have a look at the person spec and see how much of it sounds like you. Then you'll know if you're ready .
    AHT is a school wide role, you'll need to demonstrate that you have the ability to see the big picture and lead school wide. Also in some primaries AHT s are required to deputise for the head. Only you will know if you're ready for that if that's what the role entails.