1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too soon to quit?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Stuckatups1, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Stuckatups1

Stuckatups1 New commenter

Have just returned to teaching in UK following a number of years teaching overseas in international schools.

At my last UK school, I managed to jump through all the hoops and get to UPS3. I also had a TLR post.

I'm Head of Faculty at my new, independent school, but although they told me in the interview that they follow the standard (state) teachers' pay scales, they don't have TLRs, just a fixed rate for each position of responsibility.

I was therefore, more than a little disappointed to discover that I've been paid at the M6 rate, not UPS, as I was led to believe that I'd get the same rate as I was on at my previous UK school, but not the TLR bit. I know pay is no longer portable, but at interview they gave me the impression I'd be getting my previous salary. The school's response is that they've never paid UPS as they can't afford to.

Have also discovered that the school is becoming a "free" school next year and I don't fancy that at all.

I feel very let down by all of this, but surely I can't tell them I want to resign just 4 weeks into the job - or should I?

This has been bugging me ever since I found out these details and I'm actually rather cross about it all.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Unless they tell you in writing what you are going to be paid, its best to not make assumptions. If they did tell you in writing and are now backtracking, you have every right to feel annoyed.

4 weeks is a little early to tell them you want to leave. Even if you put a resignation in now, I doubt you'd be released before Christmas. Remember, you need a reference from this school. And you'll need to explain why you left so abruptly to any future employers.

You say you have been teaching abroad for a few years. I suggest you stay in this school to get back into the UK system, and look for another post for next year. Good luck.

FolkFan likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's easy to be wise after the event, but you should have got confirmation of the salary before accepting the post. It sounds as if they weren't actually specific at interview, and in any case that would be your word against theirs.

You probably don't want to resign until you've got something to go to: there's no guarantee you'll find anything better immediately. You can start looking for new posts, and you'll need to ask the head for a reference when you start applying. You can explain why; you never know, they might manage to find more if they think they'll lose you, but if they've never paid UPS, perhaps unlikely. Do check what your contract says about notice periods; they're sometimes longer in independent schools. You should also check whether there's a probation period that means that they could give you fairly short notice once they know you're thinking of going.

CWadd and FolkFan like this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you've had this disappointing experience. Now the emphasis must be on getting out successfully.

So see this as an annoying but useful training period, getting you used to being back in the UK, and above all a building of a positive reference for the next job that you apply for.

In this context, resigning now and therefore annoying them will not get the best reference. So that is a powerful reason not to hand in your resignation today!

You would also be unwise to resign before you have another job. Not just for financial reasons, but because it is always more difficult to be taken seriously as a candidate when you are unemployed.

And a final reason not to resign just yet . . .

Have you looked at your contract and conditions of service?

The vast majority of independent schools say that you must give a term's notice. The wording is usually something like Resign before or on the first day of term. So your leaving date would be Easter. Not much point in resigning that far ahead.

But if by "Resign now" you mean just walk out, don't even think about it!

You would be considered unreliable by any other school you applied to.

So check your contract, grit your teeth, and knuckle down to impressing them to ensure a positive reference.

Goodrich

FolkFan likes this.
  5. Stuckatups1

Stuckatups1 New commenter

Thanks, everyone,
    I'm hoping to stay at the school until July 2016 and get the dept I'm meant to be running into shape as tbh it's a total shambles at the moment.
    I'd never walk out on a school, I'm too much of a professional (read "mug") to do that, but I can't stay where I am because being several thousand pounds down on what I was expecting to be earning means I'm barely covering my living expenses. The school is a long way from my home so I was planning on going home to my family for weekends, but now I can't, except at half term etc.
    I went to see the Deputy Head this week and had a long chat with her, explaining my disappointment and my concerns about several other things I'm unhappy about (things I don't wish to share on here), but all she said was it was a shame and that she was also unhappy at the school and would be retiring in July. No suggestions of any help or anything.
    I've started looking for something for July and will see what turns up. I just hope the school management are professional enough to give me a proper reference - i.e. tell the truth!
    Thanks again for your advice.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Come over to the Jobseekers forum and ask for all the advice articles on applications.

Best wishes

Stuckatups1 likes this.
  7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I'm afraid the buyer must beware. The onus is on you to establish that all the terms of the contract are agreeable to you before to accept the offer. It is not the school's fault if you have made an assumption that turns out to be a false one.

If, however, you feel you were misled and accepted the job with the clear understanding that you would be paid on UPS, that is a different matter.