1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too soon for leadership?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by copymedo, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi Theo et al,
    I've seen a Foundation Stage Manager position that I'm very keen to apply for, but I'm not sure whether it is too soon in my career to apply for such a position? It is for a September start so I would be entering my third year of teaching then - do they look for people with more 'experience' or is it down to suitability for the position?
    Thanks for any responses

2. Hi Theo et al,
    I've seen a Foundation Stage Manager position that I'm very keen to apply for, but I'm not sure whether it is too soon in my career to apply for such a position? It is for a September start so I would be entering my third year of teaching then - do they look for people with more 'experience' or is it down to suitability for the position?
    Thanks for any responses

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've had colleagues who were in leadership positions after 3-5 years. generally they were more mature people, who may have trained for teaching later and many moons ago I was encouraged to start applying for promotion after 4 years.
    If you're keen on promotion, then the sooner you start applying, the sooner you can 'get a handle on' what is needed in those type of positions and start ensuring you gain experience withinn your present school.