1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too soon for Assistant HoY?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by edwards84, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hello,

I am in my second year of teaching and eventually want to become a head of year. An assistant head of year job is coming up soon and I am thinking of applying for it. Do any current SLT or HOY think this is a good idea or that I am being ridiculous to think I can do it at this stage? I know that I would be good, but should I be leaving it another year or so before I actually apply for promotion?
    What do you think?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

For most teachers it would be far too soon - only just out of NQT year, only just into teaching a 'full' timetable and managing your own workload, you're suggesting you're ready to support other teachers, many of whom will be much more experienced than you.
    For a few, it might be possible - but without knowing you or your capabilities, I couldn't say whether you're one of the 'few'.
    What I will say is that you must be very sure indeed that you'll be able to cope - I've seen more than one inexperienced teacher crash and burn through being promoted too soon.