1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too soon for Assistant Head?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Fur, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Fur

Fur New commenter

I have seen an advert for an Assistant Head position at a really nice Catholic Primary school, however I am not sure if I have enough experience.
    I am in my 6th year of teaching, have successfully been through threshold and have a TLR for EMA (specifically new to english). I have previously held this post for a year unpaid and also been a DT coordinator, again, unpaid. I have taught Reception, Year 2, 3 and 5.

Any thoughts??

2. Fur

Fur New commenter

I have seen an advert for an Assistant Head position at a really nice Catholic Primary school, however I am not sure if I have enough experience.
    I am in my 6th year of teaching, have successfully been through threshold and have a TLR for EMA (specifically new to english). I have previously held this post for a year unpaid and also been a DT coordinator, again, unpaid. I have taught Reception, Year 2, 3 and 5.

Any thoughts??

3. get the person specification and honestly appraise yourself against it. talk to the assistant heads at your current school about what they do.. you need to work it out, there is no minimum experience level, but you don't want to be in a situation where you are unhappy

4. manic28

manic28 New commenter

What's EMA?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Are you a practising Catholic? I ask because you don't stand much chance if you're not.

6. As another poster said, send off for the person spec and match yourself against it.
    A headteacher once gave me advice that it is always worth applying for something, because you don't know who else will. There may well be better candidates, and you won't get it. But you may be the best candidate, in which case you are in with a chance.
    Personally, I would feel that six years was sufficient experience for AHT in primary, but that they might be looking for someone who has had core subject responsibility. You won't know unless you request the application pack.

7. I was 10 years in a Catholic school in the 1990s and it was a requirement to be a practising catholic; and preferably called Maria. Things seem to have changed recently due to the difficulty in getting good senior staff in faith schools. Some jobs are advertised as requiring somebody who is sympathetic to the catholic ethos etc.