1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

too sensitive or should I be worried?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by asox, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi All
    I don't know if its advice I need or just a big rant, but I am feeling really miserable at the moment, and have forgotten why on Earth I wanted to be a teacher!
    I have posted before due to issues with my NQT mentor, but since Christmas, I have a new one who is quite supportive.
    A couple of weeks ago, the HT came into one of my lessons, had a look at one of the kid's books, then walked out. I then had an email summoning me to a meeting to discuss her book. When I got there, the HT was present, as well as my HoD, director of learning and a deputy head, and the HT went on to rip me to shreds because the book was untidy. She was absolutely vile to me, and said that within 2 weeks, all of my books would be checked and if they weren't up to scratch, I would have to face competency proceedings. I left the meeting in tears, and wasn't able to teach my first lesson that day. I feel that this would have been handled better with a word from my mentor.
    This came completely out of the blue - I am observed frequently, SLT come into my lessons most days as part of their patrol, and my books are checked in frequent "book trawls". I have never been told about any problems until now. For about a week after, I felt ill when I thought about going to work, and totally lost my confidence.
    My HoD was quite supportive and sympathetic, and recently booked me and another NQT onto a course for improving teaching. The HT refused me the time to go, but agreed to the other NQT. When my HoD asked her about this, she said it was because I had some time off sick (last week, I was off for a few days due to gastroenteritis - advised by my doctor as it was contagious). The course had an impact bursary, so cover would have been paid for.
    The course was related to one of the training needs I identified on my CEDP. I have been offered no other training in relation to this, but was told by my uni tutor that the school had an obligation to do this.
    I personally feel like the HT has it in for me and am feeling a bit victimised. I don't know what I have done to upset her! At the minute, I know I want to leave at the end of the year, but the thought of another 6 months there makes me feel sick and nervous.
    Am I being too sensitive?
    Thanks x

2. Hi All
    I don't know if its advice I need or just a big rant, but I am feeling really miserable at the moment, and have forgotten why on Earth I wanted to be a teacher!
    I have posted before due to issues with my NQT mentor, but since Christmas, I have a new one who is quite supportive.
    A couple of weeks ago, the HT came into one of my lessons, had a look at one of the kid's books, then walked out. I then had an email summoning me to a meeting to discuss her book. When I got there, the HT was present, as well as my HoD, director of learning and a deputy head, and the HT went on to rip me to shreds because the book was untidy. She was absolutely vile to me, and said that within 2 weeks, all of my books would be checked and if they weren't up to scratch, I would have to face competency proceedings. I left the meeting in tears, and wasn't able to teach my first lesson that day. I feel that this would have been handled better with a word from my mentor.
    This came completely out of the blue - I am observed frequently, SLT come into my lessons most days as part of their patrol, and my books are checked in frequent "book trawls". I have never been told about any problems until now. For about a week after, I felt ill when I thought about going to work, and totally lost my confidence.
    My HoD was quite supportive and sympathetic, and recently booked me and another NQT onto a course for improving teaching. The HT refused me the time to go, but agreed to the other NQT. When my HoD asked her about this, she said it was because I had some time off sick (last week, I was off for a few days due to gastroenteritis - advised by my doctor as it was contagious). The course had an impact bursary, so cover would have been paid for.
    The course was related to one of the training needs I identified on my CEDP. I have been offered no other training in relation to this, but was told by my uni tutor that the school had an obligation to do this.
    I personally feel like the HT has it in for me and am feeling a bit victimised. I don't know what I have done to upset her! At the minute, I know I want to leave at the end of the year, but the thought of another 6 months there makes me feel sick and nervous.
    Am I being too sensitive?
    Thanks x

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

No.
    I'd be feeling more than a bit victimised if this account is as you've told it. I take it you're in a union? Contact the regional - not the school rep - without delay.

4. Hi Asox,
    No wonder your feeling sensitive that's an awful thing to happen. It's small wonder you feel you want to leave. I would honestly say the whole thing sounds to have been handled in a terrible manner. It sounds very heavy handed for something like untidy books. A quiet word in your ear would have been much more affective than th dressinf down you had. I would say they are bang out of order.
    We had OFSTED this week. I had two inadequate obs even though my mentor has seen and agreed my planning. My head could not have been more supportive and when I spoke to her on the second morning about how worried I was over another observation. She went and spoke to the Lead Inspector about it and got them to agree to not observe me again and reassured them the school would give me all the support they could. To a head teacher should be sticking up for their NQTS and supporting them. Sounds to me like this is not happening for you. I would speak to your union as previous poster suggested. ASAP!

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Did he/she only look at one book? And this was enough to summon you to a meeting a threaten you with competancy procedures?
    UUUUUUUNNNNNNNNIIIIIIOOOOOOOONNNNN! Now, do not hesitate, get your union involved.
    It is impossible to judge an entire teaching career based on one messy exercise book. What stage do you teach? Sounds like primary if your HT can appear in your room most days. Was this the only book looked at? Is this children notoriously messy? Has anyone thought of the fact that you could be teaching a dyspraxic child who will nearly always have quite a messy book?
    Make sure you write down everything, with dates and details: the incident with the course sounds very unfair indeed.
    1) NQT/induction cannot be revoked just because you have been ill
    2) Bursary for the course or not, you are entitled to training, especially if in an area that is deemed vital to passing induction.
    3) With-holding appropriate training in an area of identified weakness can be deemed as constructive dismissal, shoudl you not pass induction.
    Not much of a comfort, but it's isn't really six months. 2 more weeks of this half-term. Then the next few half-terms are really short, with a long Easter holiday, extra Bank Holidays for the Royal wedding etc. Think positively.
    Get your union on the phone to ask for advice (your regional rep, NOT your school rep, this issue is far beyond school level).