1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too scared to follow behaviour policy/procedures

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Miss Pious, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    An unusual one for me...
    A friend has intimated that she is too fearful of reprisal/due to pupil intimidation to actually follow thorugh with the behaviour policy, regardless of what has been put in to place to assist her by SMT.
    I'm not sure what advice to suggest now - she works in a challenging environment, relaises she NEEDS to challenge and this is impacting on her practice but seems bamboozled about what to do now - perhaps having let it go on for too long?
    Any advice?

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Awful, awful. I really feel for this teacher.
    But that's more reason to deal with this. Let me reframe the scenario; what will happen if she doesn't confront this now? Answer: a world of Hell, where the student can repeat the misbehaviour again and again, possibly pressing their advantage further and further until...what? The prospect is too unbearable. And what if others take their cues from this objectionable child?
    This is untenable. If she doesn't confront this, then she might as well leave the job, because that's what the job is. It sounds harsh, but it's nothing compared to the awfulness that will follow.
    She HAS to report this; if you work in her school, then perhaps you could do it for her, if she's too scared- although in practise if you do, she'll look awful to her line management. But if she doesn't then the outcome could be even worse than merely looking a bit bad. She'll look REALLY bead if she doesn't step up now. Unfortunately I've seen teachers been sexually harassed by students who realised that they could push them farther than usual. It happens, and I am terrified that such a thing would happen again. Children need boundaries. If we can't supply them, we step aside and allow others to do so.
    Once she reports it- to union, to line manager, to SLT- then she'll find that she is not alone, and the school should put measures in place to protect her once she does. But they can't do anything if she is silent...
    Very best of luck, and by all means pass her on to me- happy to correspond privately if it helps.
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.