1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too old??

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Pam3, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Pam3

Pam3 New commenter

Dear All,

I wonder if you could give me some advice?

I currently teach in an independent school where working Saturdays arecompulsory and although I am approaching retirement age I feel that I amnot ready to give up entirely. I have taught Primary age across both sectors. I have also been a deputy head teacher, an acting head teacher and I amcurrently a Head of Learning Support. My highest qualification is MEd.

I would like to have my weekends back. My question is: would anybody entertain the idea of employing a 60yr old either part-time or full time?

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Apply and see what happens.... Good luck!

minnie me likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Permanently - unlikely

As short term cover - possibly

agathamorse likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Working teachers in the public sectors will be asking "Weekends - what are they?" When I was working I took Friday night and usually Saturday off, but worked every Sunday. I was at home of course but did not have free weekends.
    Part time might be the best option, if you can find it.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've got away from regularly working Sunday's recently but I suspect I will have to resume this academic year.

So looking forward to it.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

yes, state schools are employing many teachers well into their 60s now, some as NQTs, ex bankers, ex CEOs, all sorts.

But that is not necessarily going to get you your weekend time back. Not only are some weekend attendances expected in state school, but if they are not, you will be working at home anyway..

In fact, most common complaint from new entrys from different careers is shock at number of hours needed outside of the school day, in order to do the job/

lindenlea likes this.
  7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Compulsory week-end attendance in a state school? Not IME. There was one school which had an annual Saturday CPD but the union knocked that one on the head.
    I got a permanent job when I was over 60, but it was a challenging school with a long commute so I was pretty quickly exhausted.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We are an independent with no Saturday school, and we appointed someone who is 61 as a classteacher in LKS2 last Christmas. She works 3 full days and 2 mornings. We have someone starting next term, as a full time SENCO with some teaching. Our recently appointed head is over 60 and we have a couple of other teachers who are as well.

A friend of mine moved state schools at the age of 61 and took on a full time role to make the move, but dropped back to part time after a year. She now, at 65, has recently started working with Reading Quest in schools and does a day a week of supply in her previous school.

So, yes you certainly can get a new post over 60, but you will need to sell yourself.
    If you are already head of learning support, you should be able to move to a smaller independent in that role (it's one where it's hard to recruit) and choose a school without Saturday school. Depending on where you live, how easy this will be.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Have you tried making a formal flexible working request in your current school, in effect asking either to go part-time (with Saturdays not included) or to work your working week within Mon-Fri. They may say no, but in the application you tell them how the impact of this working pattern could be accommodated, and if you can show them how it could work, they might have difficulty saying no. They might even be keen to keep your experience, if they realise that you are considering leaving.

I think having your weekends possibly becomes more important for grandparents than parents, as it's often the only opportunity to see the family!