1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too old to ttc?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Harriet75, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I am almost 37 and have a much loved lo. OH and I are trying for another but I'm increasingly feeling like I'd be the oldest mum in town and getting worried about whether it'll happen and the risks if it does. Anyone else a similar age and feel the same or know of any older mum success stories? Want to follow my heart but not sure whether to count my blessings and be happy with my lot?

2. I don't think 37 is too old. If you want another baby then go for it. Many women are having babies later.
    My Aunt had her third baby in June and she was 42 (admittedly he was an accident) and she's not bothered at all. The thing she was most worried about was that her girls (17 and 14 at the time) would be ambarrassed, but they were fine with it.
    If you've already got a LO, then I don't see where the problem is. If you can have a baby, do it. There's too many of us out there who are having diffculty conceiving at all, if you can - it's a blessing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I'd say 'go for it'. I'm 32 and we're ttc number 1, so it would be a distinct possibility that I'd be in the same boat as you in a few years (if I were lucky enough to get pg at all). A friend of mine had her first at 37 (or 38??), then went on to have a second a couple of years later. Pregnancies went well enough and both children are normal, healthy children.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I'm 42 and 32 weeks' pregnant with our first baby - and I'm most definitely not the oldest mum around by a long shot!

5. No way too old! If you were saying you were 70 then I would possibly be saying otherwise! (its probably impossible too)
    There are 4 first time mums at the group I go to who are between 39 and 44. They have done other things first - no right or wrong - Obviously its your decision but if I were you I would be following my heart.
    Good luck

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

There are more risks with having a baby after 35 but many people of this age have healthy babies. I'm older than you and trying to have my first. I do feel old and have been trying for several years without success. Having said that, for now I'm OK to keep going. I think once I'm 40, I'll call it a day but I do know people who've had healthy babies a fair way into their 40s. I'd keep trying for now if I was you.

7. Absolutely not too old!! You can be happy with the one, you can be happy with having three.
    I will be 32 when I have my first. By the time I have my third (if I do) I will be over 37.
    My sis and her husband were 37 when they had their first. They are turning 38 now and haven't even started trying for their second and they definitely want another.
    My husband's boss is in his late 40's and his wife is in her mid-40's and have just had their third with no problems.
    Firstly, who cares what others think, secondly, I actually don't think other's would think the things that you're worried about anyway as it is perfectly normal for a teenager or a 40-something alike to have a baby.
    Happy ttc-ing! x

8. Thank you all for your reassurance and advice. I think I've been overthinking things way too much - am going to carry on ttc and see what life brings. Becky, toeinwater, antoniou, I hope you all get your bfp soon. Paradoxical girly, good luck! I hope the next few weeks pass quickly and gently till your little one is ready to make an appearance. Thanks again x

9. Thanks Harriet - will be testing Easter weekend if AF doesn't appear!

10. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Thank you! Here's hoping!