1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

too old for applying for jobs?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by valiantkate, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Dear Theo, Just thought I'd ask for your views. I have applied for a few jobs lately. I have had all the 'essential' anad 'desirable' skills desribed in the person specs. My DOB is 1957, I have experience in many settings and a good track record. I am not ready to hang up my professional shoes yet, I am not ready for pearls and twin sets. Do you think my age is putting school's off?
    Am I wasting my time (hey, at my age there may be less of it to waste!)
    What do you think. VK

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Possibly. I am a little older than you and am in the middle of a two-term contract, which I got through doing supply work. There may be more part-time work next year, too.
    That might be your way in. If they like you and you are competent, then your age won't matter.
    Unless finances are a problem, of course.

3. Hi Dunteachin, I'm in a full time post now but our new head's philosophy/ approach isdreadful, very efficient but lacking in compasssion for staff and the students.
    Really finding it hard to go in and keep it 'buttoned!' . Maybe I should just get on with it..........
    Thanks for your views, much appreciated Val

4. One of the problems of supply and temporary contracts is that you quickly get to a point where schools think that's all you want or all you are good for. Supply is also becoming a dead duck. Even long term cover can be done by cover supervisors.

5. I am nearly 57 and, even though I was a physics teacher before redundancy, I have given up an getting another, full-time job. I have registered with eight agencies, but I don't suppose I have had more than a fortnight's work in two years. In my experience, I think age is an issue, as I at a couple of schools to which agencies have sent me, I have been sent away again.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, as you know, it is illegal to discriminate for employment on the basis of age - either too old or too young.
    But it might happen, I agree.
    That's why some schools or organisations have application forms with no DoB.
    http://www.walthamstow-academy.org/news/view/54/
    This one, for example, for an organisation with a dozen independent schools and a score of academies, has no DoB nor first name (to hide gender).
    However, whenever you don't get shortlisted, it's always tempting to think It's because I am too old. It's because I'm a woman/man, or some other excuse that you can feel is not your fault.
    Sorry to say this, but iIknow that I have felt that myself, in the past!
    It may in fact just be the sheer weight of numbers of applicants (with 200 or 300 plus applying, your chances are slim), or because there were 8 absolutely superbly, amazingly outstanding candiadtes, or because you didn't actually do a good enough job in setting out your stall, in showing why they should appoint you.
    So, are you 100% sure that you illustrated this in your executive summary with specific examples? You did have an executive summary?
    It could just be that you need to learn to present yourself better in your applications.
    Have you read and followed all the advice? There's masses of help available on here - have you been checking all the clickables and other help threads inside the Welcome thread?
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in those shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this. It looks as though the forms have room for the executive summary, so put it there and then do a separate application letter.
    The Welcome thread clickables explain about an executive summary.
    Finally, you should think of going to one of the Win That Teaching Job weekend workshops - another poster has just told us that she's just got herself a job from it!
    S100. Winning That Teaching Job – Saturday 28h April - Making the best of your application – How to make sure your application gets noticed - How to shine at Interview
    Presented by Helen Beckett and Lynne Johnson
    For more information and to register please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop100.eventbrite.co.uk
    Best wishes
    P.S. Tip for next time: Write Dear Theo as part of your title. I don't always have time to opem every thread on the off chance that it says Dear Theo inside . . .

7. Oh George, it makes my blood boil. I'm pretty sure that people look at you and think 'why haven't they gone for managerial roles?'
    I suppose it may look like were lacking a bit of drive but I love teaching, you know the bit that makes you feel that you've really made a difference, the wow bit, the bit where we utilise all our skills and knowledge- I don't want to be bogged down by managerial responsibilities. I value my sleep, I value my time, I think I have a good balance. If I earned more the tax man would come and take a lot of it. Hah, no thanks!
    It's a dreadful situation, I have been in a similar situation to yours George and it's soul destroying and you can become depressed, try to keep going, be bloody minded, I went round schools with my CV and the agencies details. it was a challenge but I got work, I shall never forget how I felt though. Anyway, dont give up. regards, Val

8. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Ah, but you have to put the date you did your O Levels / GCSEs and the job history are a dead give away. If you put O levels, they know you are over 40. If you have a date where you started work before 2000, you are going to be over 25.
    There is no way around ageisum, it exists in many cases, I've seen it many times at interivew.
    It does depend on the school, but until GCSE dates are removed, it is easy to tell how old someone is.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

mmm..Milk.
    Even removing the GCSE criteria won't help the 'oldies' as the date of qualication of degree is a dead giveaway and as someone else has said the length of work history is also another clue.

10. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

In my area, they discreetly don't ask for date of birth, but then they enclose an equal opportunities form which goes with the app, asking for age, sex, race, etc which makes a mockery of the discretion!

11. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

The equal opportunties form should not be seen as part of the application. This is why it is seperate. This has all the other stuff re non discrimiation like health / ethic background etc.
    I agree Lara, but its the GCSE dates that are the give away. A degree can be taken at any age. My masters was 2000 - I could have been 22 when I did that (I wasn't) that doest tell them much, but the GCSEs are the one thing that unless you were a genius or missed them for health reasons, every one did them at 15-16 yrs old.