1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too old at 56?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Dunteachin, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I have been teaching all my life, it seems, and was made redundant last summer. I decided to take my pension early; it's not brilliant since I mostly worked part-time. I have supplemented it with fairly regular supply work at a local secondary school, an arrangement which suits me fine.
    However, I have been tempted to apply for the odd maternity leave or part-time position, but I fear my age and price tag, UPS1, may count against me.
    I would really appreciate an honest answer before I start to waste time and ink: am I washed up at 56?

2. Dunteachin

I have been teaching all my life, it seems, and was made redundant last summer. I decided to take my pension early; it's not brilliant since I mostly worked part-time. I have supplemented it with fairly regular supply work at a local secondary school, an arrangement which suits me fine.
    However, I have been tempted to apply for the odd maternity leave or part-time position, but I fear my age and price tag, UPS1, may count against me.
    I would really appreciate an honest answer before I start to waste time and ink: am I washed up at 56?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Apply! Age and experience is a welcome asset, especially in a temporary maternity or challenging supply capacity!

4. 56 is not old! I just took on a ups3 teacher of 53. No idea of her age at interview but v impressed with her brilliant attitude to children and instinct for the job. She kindly parents the parents and staff and is a champion for lively little boys. Teaching doesn't change.

5. Nope - my old head of faculty hasn't had a problem at 57 - 61 getting medium term supply jobs. Someone with a clue, who can look after themselves and won't need heaps to watching over.

6. Dunteachin

Thanks for your positive replies. I had quite convinced myself that HTs were looking for young, dynamic ( and cheap ) recruits. I shall look at things from a different angle now.
    After all, we are facing the prospect of carrying on until we are 65, now!