1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too much teacher talk?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by kirstiepaton1848, Oct 15, 2017.

1. kirstiepaton1848

kirstiepaton1848 New commenter

I am a teacher of 20 years in Psychology and Sociology. I had some feedback this week from a member of SLT.

His main feedback was too much 'teacher talk' and there needs to be more writing in the books.

I was introducing a group of 14 year olds to Adorno's theory of the Athoritarian personality. The first task was to complete a sample of questions from his original questionnaire to discuss how he measured personality. . We discussed their responses. I asked their opinions. Students offered their views. We had a discussion. I then explained the theory. An exposition that took about 7/8 mins.

Students then read their textbooks and filled in a worksheet to summarise their understanding. Their worksheet was scaffolded with high order skills of evaluation as well as descriptIve and fact based questions.

I'm at a loss when this is now considered a problem when we use our knowledge to explain complex ideas to young people as 'too much teacher talk'.

Sure, we all know the issues of just talking at kids for hours on end. But to be told that students have to hit pen to paper in every lesson within the first five minutes so they are active seems so ridiculously prescriptive.

Ia talking and listening no longer considered an activity?

If anyone has any research about the importance of verbal exposition in the classroom then please share. I want to challenge this so called pedagogy that students are only learning when they write.

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

As your user name identifies you, it would be wise to consider changing it. You can do this by emailing help@tes.com

You can also ask for posts or threads to be deleted if you feel you have revealed too much. The easiest way to do this is to report your own post (using the report button at the bottom of each post) and explain the reason why.

FrankWolley and phlogiston like this.
  3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

This member of SLT had to write something on his/her form, and that was all they could come up with.

I wouldn't worry about it.

FrankWolley and needabreak like this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed and thus you have uncovered another fault in the system. To unjustly criticise a colleague during a formal observation in the name of monitoring and justification of your own role is in my view tantamount to fraud and should be stopped. I would support anyone who wanted to challenge that sort of behaviour.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sometimes Mrs Egostomper would criticise me for the same thing.
    Guess what was always happening when I went past her room?

6. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

Hattie says that Direct Instruction (teacher-led exposition) has a high effect size - that might be a good starting point for pedagogy research, should you want.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #3.

I suggest you ask the SLT member of you can come and watch one of their lessons, specifically on when they are introducing a complex new piece of learning at (which I'm assuming your was) A level...

Bet they make an excuse to worm out of it...;)

8. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

If they were writing -that would have been criticised too -as not engaging all students. Twenty years is the clue- obviously you are now a dinosaur in SMT eyes, no matter how good your lesson!

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

In a similar situation, I once set an A level group a structured research task during the lesson (concepts/ reading questions etc on a similar difficult, abstract concept) so that I could discuss with individual students their progress, note taking techniques, understanding etc.
    The feedback was, that the lesson would have been unsatisfactory because I was t interacting with all the students all of the time but was moved up a grade because the individual one-to-one work was good.
    No explanation of how I could do said one-to-one and whole class interaction at same time.

Just recognise that observations have to find the opposite of what you do ( and the rubbish criteria for 'outstanding' just don't apply to your subject for every lesson)

10. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

7-8 minutes talking is not too long. It sounds like an excellent lesson to me.(As long as you are sure it was just that long - it's hard to tell sometimes when we are in the thick of it!)

11. meggyd

meggyd Occasional commenter

My semi retired colleague who taught English was told he talked too much and didn't do a starter activity. They wanted to come back and recheck it. He obliged. Starter activity was read in silence for 15 minutes.

blueskydreaming and FrankWolley like this.