1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too much information,too much choice= more stress?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Jun 24, 2012.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Time to renew home and car insurance. Got renewal quotes from current insurers which will automatically renew from credit card. Got quotes from online sites which of course come up cheaper than renewal quotes. So far,so good as access to info is more choice and more choice is good. Or is it? To start with,there is the time you spend getting the quotes and trying to figure out if the quote is 100% similar to what your renewal one offers. More importantly,is trying to phone to cancel renewal and having to speak to someone whose job it is to convince you to stay,even if that mean making you feel stupid by asking lots of questions to prove that their quote is best and the other one rubish.
    I'm thinking how much simpler my parents had it when they dealt with banking/insurances/any big purchase. They would go to one person they trusted: banker/broker/prefered shop and just trusted that person was giving them a good deal. As long as the price was in whatever budget they had in mind,they did not think twice.
    My point is are we really happier with all that access to information?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Now I'm retired I do bother with finding cheaper deals but when working I thought life was too short! What can work is phoning to cancel and see if they will improve their quote - they sometimes will and that can be satisfying.
    Sometimes your time is worth a pound or two a month though - you make the choice, don't let them make you feel guilty.

3. I personally ignore it all.
    I have my companies - when the year is up, I go to my broker - and generally stay where I am.
    The hassle of changing to save a mere few cents is rarely worth it and I get more discounts the longer I stay where I am.
    My broker doesn't earn from me - he earns from the companies he works with.
    So it is a win win situation for me.
    As a test, I checked car insurance online (which cost me hours of my life) - and I still have the best policy going, so I won't be changing.

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Life was so much easier when you either had Cornflakes or Porridge to choose from. Now I stay out of the cereal aisle.

5. Crinkle cut or straight cut beetroot?
    (I was stuck behind a couple making this difficult decision in the supermarket.)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Having avoided any big supermarket for years I had to go into our local Tescos for something last minute. I stood literally open mouthed at the bottled water section. You may get used to seeing this if you go regularly but the sheer scale of all the different bottles of water in front of me was staggering. It seemed to me to say something about what is wrong with our society. Ditto the loo rolls.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That is how the insurers loved it. The majority of people stuck with one company (often the first through the door) and hoped all would be well. Sometimes it was but often it wasn't, prices went up and the service changed with little or no communication. Lots of people were ripped off for years, the trust and good feeling being a one way thing.

I prefer to shop around and don't mind the couple of hours online to do so. We always take the cheapest quote for a given requirement and check the conditions are the same, pay cash and never ever sign up for automatic renewal. Without doubt we save money and have the same attitude to car insurance and credit cards, feeling no need for loyalty to faceless institutions to whom we are but an account number.

8. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

And there starts my soapbox rant - the reason we have a water shortage is because there are millions of gallons of water stored in bottles in warehouses!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We do not need bottled water in this country just drink from the tap for goodness sake.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You have to check whether the online quote, which is always cheaper than the renewal quote, offers the same cover as you have had. My online quote last month from the insurance company I'm already with, was about £30 cheaper, When I phoned to see if they would do the online deal as renewal, it was pointed out that it didn't include protected no claims bonus and a couple of other things I had on my policy. Once you've added them on, the difference is negligible.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

When shopping I often yearn for a Soviet style supermarket, one of everything, take it or leave it, no other purchasing choice required. The whole concept is a marketing ploy to flatter us into spending more than we intended.
    I recall a study I read about once that investigated if choice and "stuff" made people happy. Having someyhing you didn't use to have did, i.e. no fridge to fridge made people happy. Old scruffy fridge to new shiny fridge had much less of an effect.
    I may have strayed off topic there.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Go to Aldis.

12. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Actually that was shopping in the 1950s here in the UK.
    Mainly tins, jars, ham, cheese, butter, leaf tea and whatever veg were in season. Nothing frozen. There was a reasonable choice of meat and bread/cakes.
    I actually miss eating things only when in season. The appearance of fresh peas in pods, strawberries, runner beans, new potatoes, the first apples of autumn etc made me absurdly happy.

13. Mangleworzle

Me too. One of the most highly anticipated events of the year is the first plum from our plum tree in the back garden, they are so delicious that we only eat those and never buy them.
    Actually such experiences are still there, you just have to read the labels a bit more carefully, the first English stawberries for instance instead of the week before when there were just big red drinks of water flown in from somewhere.
    We've turned over a part of the garden to veg this year for the first time so this anticipation should happen more frequently. Mrs. M. goes to inspect the French beans every day while I go and give the leeks a pep talk.

14. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I always used to find hollyhocks a very good way of diverting slugs incidentally.

15. What is stopping you only eating them when in season?
    I don't buy strawberries in December, I only buy (lovely German, white) asparagus in May and June and I only eat mussels in months ending with an r.

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

being able to tell what season it is would help.
    January was a scorcher
    we had autumn gales in March
    and I think it is November at the moment

17. Mangleworzle

I always forget I have eaten asparagus and then when it makes my wee smell I panic in case I have diabetes or something.
    It's next March at the moment.

18. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Mainly the small print which I can't read..... English vs import isn't always too clearly labelled.
    Asparagus and apples I try to stick to.
    I miss getting the fresh fungus from orchards when I worked on farms.

19. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

We're in the process of changing phone companies. The plethora of different 'deals' ... you get this, this and this for that ... then you go to the second company and it's slightly different again and you have to weigh up which suits you best and saves money. I always feel like I've been had! And don't get me started on insurance and power companies &c.!

20. Sorry, someone of your intelligence doesn't get away with that pathetic excuse!
    You KNOW what is in season and when, so stop making excuses about small print.
    You normally have more balls than that.