1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too much good will??

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Aelfric, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Aelfric

Aelfric New commenter

The past few months I have been thinking about how much good will teachers seem to give and don’t really get back from leadership. In my younger days, as a fresh faced NQT who wanted to progress up the ladder, I’d volunteer for things and spend a lot extra time doing things out of the goodness of dare I say it my chilly little heart.

But 7 or so years later no promotion to be seen, however being on UPS is nice and it pays the bills I just feel that I can’t be ***** to climb the greasy pole and deal with back stabbers. Once I wanted to be head of department but now I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole for all the hassle and the accountability and the fact you don’t really have any significant control.

Then I had a thought how much good will do leadership take for granted. How many extra holiday revision sessions? How many extra exams and mock papers marked for the ever impending Ofsted? How many extra after school revision sessions? Schools run on good will, what would happen if it all disappeared?

So this coming term sod it I think I may have a go at having a bit extra me time.

2. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I definitely agree. Every single extra activity adds up- and becomes a significant amount of time overall.
    And these after school revision s swoons are only worth it if the most failing pupils attend.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The more you do, the more is expected and the extra becomes the norm.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My good will bucket emptied years ago when I realised iit was just taken for granted.
    Now p/t I refuse to do parents evenings when I'm not in school and I tow the union line.
    Work to rule.....yes. Because I don't live to work.

5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

"But it's for the kids."

My least favourite 5 words.

6. Aelfric

Aelfric New commenter

But it’s not really is it? It’s for Ofsted.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't mind volunteering.
    I don't mind giving 'that extra bit'.

I mind when the lazy sods who spend their life shouting their mouth off about the nothing they do are courted as favourites of SLT because they are so committed. (Unless of course SLT are nowhere to be seen, then they spend their life complaining about the amount of nothing they do and slating SLT!)

But then I work in a decent school, where SLT work extremely hard and definitely give back to us when needed as well.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That's the difference.
    You see I gave lots until recently.
    Then when I helped out and took on extra 6th form for a month, lessons 1 and 3 of a 4 lesson day, a day I did not normally work, I was not paid for lesson 2 and paid less than 0.1 for the 2 out of 4 lessons I taught (planned, marked etc).
    Good will my bottom!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Absolutely.
    Once you feel undervalued, taken for granted, or are treated poorly, etc then it is impossible to continue with goodwill and doing extras.

Curae, ATfan, jlishman2158 and 3 others like this.
  10. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

The FED principle - Favour becomes Expectation becomes Demand.

11. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Agree with you and similar to smurphy6, I would often say if you create a footpath it eventually becomes a
    right of way too much goodwill should be a point of action.
    In the past whenever we were asked to do revision sessions during holiday time, we would be paid extra, if it was during lunchtimes or after school we would ask for time in lieu or what which meeting are you allowing us not to attend. At the end of the day quite often this time is not put on the directed time calendar and managers are there to manage. There is action already in place called action short of strike action and this could be used to remove a lot of good will immediately.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In the last few years we've done after school revision, Easter Revision and even Saturday revision. If you did it you got an extra day off at the end of the school year.

None of those things are taking place this year as our new HT doesn't think we should be doing it.

8sycamore, agathamorse, ATfan and 8 others like this.
  13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I have worked for people who did their best to make life easier, stood up for us with management and made it clear that, if we were asked to go a bit further, it was genuinely voluntary. I have worked for others who expected us to do anything they ask. With the former, I was usually prepared to do whatever I was asked to do; with the latter, I would stand up for my rights.

In my opinion, goodwill only exists if it is there on both sides. If not, it is just being taken for granted.

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just to be clear? This is not me having a pop at you btw!

But you didn't really do it out of the goodness of your heart. You said it yourself - it was to make a name for yourself. And that's as it should be. Those who want the breaks have to work for them. Things shouldn't just fall in your lap.

Now I'll admit I never did much extra. I valued my own time too much and had absolutely NO ambition to do anything other than complete a teaching day and go home. And, whaddya know, no advancement was ever offered or suggested. Totally fair.

If ever I did extra it was because I fancied it or thought I really was doing something that the school needed. But revision? In the holiday? Weekends? I can't ever see that as a good thing. If the kids need to revise then they'd better get on with it. I understand that not every kid has a quiet home-environment for study but it doesn't take a teacher to open a door to the school library. You can get other people to babysit that. And I don't like kids being pressured to do it either so I'm ideologically opposed to most of this stuff anyway.

You've just given away that time. You did it voluntarily and for a cause but it hasn't worked out. Now you know better. As to career progression? I have no clue. From my vantage point of complete lack of interest in greasy poles I tended to think it was what you'd expect. School staff behave like school KIDS most of the time. So you have to be the kid who begs and pleads and sucks up in order to be book-monitor or something. Kids either charm the teacher into being a monitor or wear them down by constant begging. I think that's how it works a lot of the time. Sure, you have to be super-keen. But, if everybody else is doing it, how do you stand out?

15. Piscean1

Exactly. A lot of the things which we are expected to do and which are justified as "for the kids" often are not for the kids, have no tangible impact on the kids but do happen to tick somebody else's performance management box or scratch their micromanagement itch.

16. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I hate to worry you and hope this does not apply to you, but if already at UPS level, such luxurious ponderings on perdagogy may be summarily cut sort by more performance management spiel. Doing more to appease SLT and meet ridiculous targets has replaced rhe goodwill in many schools, particularly of exoerienced staff. Goodwill was selfless and did nit secure promotion; good bootlicking skills did. Getting good appraisal write ups and passing duff PM cycle after PM cycle makes teachers selfish as rhey try to survive rhe new stupid system. Enjoy the free time while you can!

17. Piscean1

There are still some excellent leaders out there.

I have no issue with goodwill as long as it's all genuine. When it's not, and you feel taken for granted, that's where problems arise.

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If you've an ulterior motive then it isn't really genuine goodwill.

You know. To give and not to count the cost etc etc.... Not to seek for any reward blah blah....

But doing it to get Brownie points isn't goodwill. It's a calculated gamble. If I do this then I might get that. And, if you're all doing it, what distinguishes you? How far do you go? I'm with @Mrsmumbles on this. It's bootlicking for the most part. Good luck to you. You're doing the hard yards. Whether you are rewarded for it? I don't know. Whether it's the right way to select staff for career progression? Again. Don't know. Depends what you require of your leadership team. Not sure I'd appoint on the strength of doing lots of holiday revision groups. How does that correlate with ability? But I never appointed anyone for anything.

19. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

My former place of work actually paid staff a modest amount to take Easter Revision School, but exerted a great deal of pressure on staff to participate. My Head made it clear that he thought my department was being awkward, because we all decided *gasp* that we'd rather just have our holiday, thank you very much.

I got a complaint from one particular family one year because we weren't running an Easter School. Mummy demanded to know why. (Her little darling had gone on a family skiing holiday during term time and needed to catch up.)

I took a bit of delight in sending her a polite letter which explained that 'quite simply, all the teachers in [my] Department will be on holiday.'

8sycamore, bevdex, Curae and 14 others like this.
  20. Foux da fa fa

Foux da fa fa New commenter

The only silver lining for me about being bullied at work is that it has forced me to leave as soon as directed time is over. I now fly out of the door. It used to be that I was kicked out by the caretaker every evening as he wanted to lock up. I used to offer to help other staff with clubs on a daily basis and would offer to do as much extra curricular as possible. I used to run foreign trips and would help with residentials. I do have a much better work life balance now. For that, I should thank the bullies.