1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too much fish!!!! Eeeeek! Help!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Arched Eyebrow, Jul 21, 2011.

1. I am hoping you lovely cookery people will be able to help me out. I bought a bag of seven frozen cod fillets on Tuesday and knew I'd have to rearrange the things in the freezer to fit the bag in. Just as I was unpacking the shopping the phone rang, so I hurriedly stuffed the bag of frozen fish in the fridge...stuck yoghurts and other pots in front of it and forgot about it, until now!
    I now have seven cod fillets, floppy and defrosted which I want (have to!) to use for dinner tonight. They look pretty bland and horrible just as they are and if they are too 'fishy' the family won't eat them, nor do they particularly like fish pie.
    Any ideas about how to make cod (or any white fish) tasty? I have the usual store-cupboard ingredients, plus lemons, limes, fresh herbs etc. How do you use up so MUCH fish???
    I am going to do a bit of Googling but any tried and tested fishy dish ideas will be most gratefully received!

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Could you experiement with salting the fish? Salt cod is delicious, and it would solve the issue of having to use it all up quickly.

3. Ooooooh Nick. Yes, I have seen waiters on the continent chop away at the brick (almost) of salt surrounding a cod. (Fascinating...why doesn't it just taste like salt??) and although I haven't tried it I have been curious and told it's delicious.
    Now....do I have to visit a Siberian salt mine first? [​IMG]

4. Make fish cakes and freeze the surplus. If the fish is cooked it is fine to freeze.

5. Fish cakes?
    Mine won't eat anything too fishy either, but will eat fishcakes -

plenty of seasoning and a good mix of potato and lots of herbs, lightly fried in the pan. You will then have cooked the fish so can freeze what you don't use as it will have been cooked and so can be frozen. Or dip in egg and breadsrumbs and shallow fry - serve with sautee potatoes and pass it off as a treat - homemade fish and chips.

6. breadcrumbs even - beat me to it there Cosmos!

7. Great minds......seagirl

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

JUst running on my way out the door...but I'd slather them in pesto, pile on breadcrumbs and roast in the oven. Used to do this lots when C was little.
    Or bake in foil with any flavourings you like- lime, chilli, fresh ginger and coriander's my fave.
    Or steam with soy.

9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

So a search on the salmon threads- they'll give you inspiration.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You can cook the fillets and add a sauce to them eg parsley sauce, cheese sauce, or roll around a filling of prawns, poach in white wine, freeze like that then findih by thickening with an egg yolk when defrosted.
    Fish pie is good to freeze, fish cakes, as has been said, egg and breadcrumb and cook till cooked through, cool and freeze, when removed bake to brown and finish off.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I meant also to come after has been said!! So a couple of fillets can be egg and breadcrumbed, cooked but not browned and frozen.