1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too much chilli

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Mar 3, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I've just made beetroot soup - fresh organic beetroot no less (see reduced veggies thread). I threw in remnants of onion, red pepper, asparagus and 1/4 of chopped chilli. Alas, whilst it is delicious it has way too much chilli in it. Don't get me wrong I love hot stuff but I really feel that it would be even better if it wasn't burning my tongue so much! I know I let it reduce too much (forgot it was on the hob) but I'm guessing just adding water will not reduce the hotness.
    Any suggestions?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Adding water is likely to thin your delicious soup - and not weaken the chilli kick noticeably!
    Do you have some plain joghurt handy? You could stir some of this into the soup and it should calm it down a little. (I've used this to lessen the heat of a curry).
    Or maybe add some tinned tomatoes? Possibly some grated apple? Both of these would add a slight sweetness to offset the chilli.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Add a potato cut into chunks, you can discard the potato after cooking for about 30 mins, but it should absorb the chilli. Or add cream or yoghourt to the soup.

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thank you both. Don't possess yoghurt but will possibly try the potatoe.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Coconut cream will help ease the heat.

6. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Bought a small tub of yoghurt and used that today. It worked but I had to eat the soup with my eyes closed because it looked mingin [​IMG]