1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

too many students

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Ms Chipping, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Ms Chipping

Ms Chipping New commenter

I am teaching A level chemistry to a class of 30 students (I am on a full teaching timetable ages: 12-18). School decided not to split the class. Carrying out practical work is very difficult, not only because I do not have sufficient equipment for some practicals, but because of H&S issues with so many students in a small classroom. I have tried splitting the class between practical work and study, however this is increasing the teaching time considerably and there are problems finding extra classrooms and teachers. The volume of marking is also demanding and providing 1:1 support very difficult. Any ideas?

2. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

What action is your HoD taking?

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@Ms Chipping: If your HoD teaches A level, I am prepared to bet that their class has far fewer students. I had a very similar problem to yours and I never managed to make it work before I retired. Has your school got a 'bums on seats' policy, in which the number of 6th form students is move important than their suitability for the course? If so, then the numbers may dwindle a bit when the weaker students realise they are not up to it, although while they are in the group, they cause a load of extra work.

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

What has your HOD said about this? There will obviously be implications on many factors:
    1) Teacher availability- Is there a suitable qualified Chemistry / Science teacher who CAN teach A Level Chemistry AND is 'free' when you teach this class?
    2) Classroom availability- Will there be a science lab available at this time to conduct lessons? Standard classrooms will not be viable if you are doing practicals.
    It's not as straightforward as it sounds, but do speak to your HOD or SLT to express frustrations and H&S concerns.
    They will most likely question why you do not raise this issue back in September!

midnight_angel likes this.
  5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

If HoD won't do anything to help, get onto your union rep ref H+S issues. 30 A level students for Chemistry? Ridiculous!!

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Quite possibly the group has grown in number since September; I know ours did. In my last year, my group picked up seven extra students in the first month, through outside entrants coming late, being 'transferred' (read: dumped) from other subjects, etc.