1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too many observations?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by henny_penny, Jan 11, 2012.

1. henny_penny

henny_penny New commenter

Whole staff are being observed (by Head and Subject Leader) in Literacy next week, numeracy the week after, science the week after, RE the week after, closely followed by a separate Performance Management observation AND we are on hyper Ofsted alert. What the heck is going on?

2. henny_penny

Whole staff are being observed (by Head and Subject Leader) in Literacy next week, numeracy the week after, science the week after, RE the week after, closely followed by a separate Performance Management observation AND we are on hyper Ofsted alert. What the heck is going on?

3. 3 per year!!

If exceeded, go to your union!!!

4. 3 per year for performance management, as many observations for other purposes as required.
    It sounds as if your school is in OFSTED panic mode!

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Haven't the restrictions on observations not related to performance management recently been lifted? Or, at least, aren't they due to be?
    In theory, I have no issue with observations at all, and in fact quite relish them. But, that's because I work in a school where observations have a purpose and are seen as positive things, to highlight strengths and to improve practice where there are weaknesses, but all done in a constructive manner. Oddly enough, our HT is a former OSTED inspector.
    In schools where observations are used as a stick with which to beat teachers, I imagine they're horrendous things.

6. henny_penny

I think you've hit the nail on the head luvinit.

I hadn't realised 'they' could do as many observations as they liked for other purposes. I think something was said about subject monitoring but they're still observations!
    nic909 - it sounds like you're in a great school.

7. sure the 3 rule has gone anyway

8. Isn't it the length of time of observation - rather than the number? I am under the impression that teachers should be observed for no more than 3 hours per year. In my current school, observations are for 20 mins per time.

9. As long as they're constructive I don't know of any limit. We have lots around our whole school...HT, subject governors, subject leaders...and we often peer observe to share good pract. around. We increased our observations after our last good Ofsted and it was part of what got us to outstanding.
    Think of them as good prep. I ended up with a 45 min observation on day 1 and 2 full hour observations on day 2, and our YR teachers had the same.
    When the Big O come it's nice to know you've been observed lots of times and are used to it.