1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too many moves

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hoblos, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have 11 years of experience in the UK and abroad. I have only ever been able to find temporary positions and so I have changed school almost every year. My longest stint was one year and a half.

I am desperate to secure a permanent position and find stability and a long-term base.

I have had some feedback from schools and they say that my CV is too fragmented and that they would be concerned about my commitment.

In my letter I state that I am seeking stability and that I would be committed if the position was permanent.

What else can I do to reassure employers that I would honour a long-term contract and not leave after a year?

Thanks

2. Hi,

I have 11 years of experience in the UK and abroad. I have only ever been able to find temporary positions and so I have changed school almost every year. My longest stint was one year and a half.

I am desperate to secure a permanent position and find stability and a long-term base.

I have had some feedback from schools and they say that my CV is too fragmented and that they would be concerned about my commitment.

In my letter I state that I am seeking stability and that I would be committed if the position was permanent.

What else can I do to reassure employers that I would honour a long-term contract and not leave after a year?

Thanks

3. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

To be blunt I would be asking the same question. No problems with one or two short-term temporary positions over 11 years, but to have moved so often during that long and extended period both in the UK and abroad really does not look good. All positions were temporary and in no case did any school offer a permanent contract or at least an extension on the basis of seeing your day to day work? That would not put you at the top of the short-list I'm afraid.

4. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

Hoblos , you certainly do have an employment history that places you at a competitive disadvantage. Syria1 has clearly and succinctly explained how potential employers might view your CV. However, I do have a suggestion. You could ask a member of your present SMT, or better yet, your present Head, to personally intervene by calling or writing a colleague about your situation (international school Heads and their ilk have been known to hobnob, particularly at hiring fairs and CIS conferences). This can work. I have successfully referred staff whose temporary positions are up or who have had one of the school's owners take a particular dislike to them.

5. Thank you for your helpful replies.

I was invited to stay on at my last school after the initial 6 month contract, however it was very isolated (7 miles or so to nearest town) and I was living on campus. Also unlike most schools there were no paid school holidays as such, but instead just 25 paid days holiday per year. I made a difficult decision not to accept the permanent position I was offered. With my experience and qualifications (PGCE etc) I expect to be paid in the holidays.

So things are now far from ideal. Currently in the UK and I have been applying for positions worldwide since August. I was offered a position in a not so good school in China that others on this forum told me to avoid. I turned that one down as a result.

If any heads out there can consider me for any MFL or EFL positions I'd be happy to discuss my commitment to a long-term stay at my next school. Egypt, China,Thailand, Vietnam or anywhere in Western Europe would be good.

Thanks

H