1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too many hours?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by selenafraser, Jan 11, 2020.

1. selenafraser

selenafraser New commenter

I'm an eyts graduate. Have just taken a job as a room leader in a pvi. I was surprised to see the contract was 45hrs a week (x1 45min break included) when most others seem to be 40. I've just got my 1st week rota and myself and others are down for 47hrs a week which includes a 10hr shift one day. I'm a bit concerned, is this usual practice?

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi.
    If I understand you correctly, your working hours are 45 but you have a paid lunch break of 45 min per day? This means your actual hours if work are less ie closer to 41. This is not unusual practice in many Day nurseries as the days are long and they need to cover the shifts. I'm surprised if you didn't ask about hours at your interview?
    You can certainly ask about the 47 hours and check this is not every week, the working directive is an average over 17 weeks and the maximum I think is 48.
    There is no doubt that 10 hour days are very long. But it's quite common in nurseries.
    If you're concerned, speak to your manager and if it's too much for you ( for example do you get non contact time) then you might decide to move on. But as a general piece of advice, always always ask about the hours and working patterns.

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I'm guessing the extra hour might be composed of the 15 minute breaks you are entitled to (after 4 hours work or something like that?)