1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too easily offended?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Mar 25, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Supermarket giant Aldi has been forced to change the name of one of its products after a sexual assault victim complained when she saw "rape yellow" paint on the shelves.

The angry woman, who is in her 50s, became "choked up" after she spotted the quick-drying gloss on a special offer stand at a store in Coventry, West Mids.

Aldi insist the paint - which is on sale on their website for £4.99 - was named after rapeseed, a crop that is yellow in colour.

But the woman, who was out shopping with her son when she saw the offensive name, said she was "furious and upset".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sho...me-of-rape-yellow-paint-after-complaints.html

Are we now going to have to change the names of the film "Blue Murder at St Trinians" and the Queen album "Sheer Heart Attack"?

les25paul, aspensquiver_2 and kibosh like this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I agree..... taken too far. I immediately knew it was named after that foul smelling yellow rape seed flower that pervades everywhere it is close to ....... horses don't like it and it is terribly cloying.....almost makes one feel asthmatic! I wish everything I objected to was acted on as quickly...... WOW !

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oilseed rape. (Or whatever you call it in your part of the world.)

I'd be embarrassed to admit I didn't know such a thing existed. But I suppose city-dwellers are ignorant of these things. Hard to credit though.

Furious and upset? Oh, dear.

If I found a paint labelled Vomit Orange, Assault Amber or Bomb-blast Blue? I might not buy it. I might think it a bit odd. But crikey. How do people get through life?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've often wondered about the people who make up names for paint colours. In fact, I've sometimes wished I could do it for a living.

sabrinakat, kibosh, nomad and 2 others like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

There's a game. Name this paint! What have they forgotten? Can you improve on this?

upload_2016-3-25_16-28-34.png

nomad and Dragonlady30 like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Good job the woman didn't have to continue her shopping in B&Q to buy a ******* (coarse) file so she could make a butt joint.

lexus300, coffeekid and kibosh like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Mellow

8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The plant is called rape - the oil is rape seed oil. Can't believe that she hasn't seen yellow fields in the summer. Perhaps farmers should be banned from planting rape or it be renamed.

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Sounds like a bizarre name to me, given its link with serious sexual assault. I reckon Aldi did the right thing by changing it.

10. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Jaundice, pee and pus

12. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

There was no error by Aldi. They took the route of least resistance. Pointless spending money of advertising if someone is going to make a complaint and use the word rape.

The lady had no real cause for complaint it seems to me. She has been treated sympathetically by Aldi. I feel sympathy for her. On this occasion I see no problem in the name change. I don't think this causes a precedent.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Rapeseed (Brassica napus), also known as rape,[1] oilseed rape,[1] rapa, rappi, rapaseed (and, in the case of one particular group of cultivars, canola), is a bright-yellow flowering member of the family Brassicaceae (mustard or cabbage family), consumed in China (油菜: Mandarin Pinyin yóucài; Cantonese:yau choy) and Southern Africa as a vegetable. The name derives from the Latin for turnip, rāpa or rāpum, and is first recorded in English at the end of the 14th century. Older writers usually distinguished the turnip and rape by the adjectives 'round' and 'long' (-'rooted'), respectively.[2] Rutabagas, Brassica napobrassica, are sometimes considered a variety of B. napus. Some botanists also include the closely related B. campestris within B. napus.

B. napus is cultivated mainly for its oil-rich seed, the third-largest source of vegetable oil in the world.[3]

Latin rapere was used for "sexually violate," but only very rarely; the usual Latin word being stuprare "to defile, ravish, violate," related to stuprum (n.), literally "disgrace." Meaning "to abduct (a woman), ravish;" also "seduce (a man)" is from early 15c. in English. Related: Raped; raping.

So the plant was named first!

If she read the label of most cooking oils she will see that they contain rape seed oil. The oil coming from the pressings of the rape seed.

Mangleworzle and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
    aspensquiver_2, nomad and wanet like this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

In deference to the sensitivities of the subject I won't tell the traditional joke at this point

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

You do not know the circumstances around this woman's rape.Ok she might be over sensitive but I think she might be forgiven for getting upset after having been subjected to a horrific violation. Unless you have been in a similar situation you don't know how you would react. She could be depressed. You just don't know and a bit of sympathy wouldn't go amiss.

robyn148 likes this.
  17. hasslethehog

hasslethehog New commenter

Oh, it does make me chuckle reading these things! Before I stepped into the classroom, I worked for other German discounter translating the packaging and names of products. Over two years I collected hilarious mistranslations from occasions when our parent company in Germany would try to do our job for us and send us translations already done (highlight: a rug with a "pleasantly soft backside"; and "men's trousers" that were actually boxers). Most of the time we managed to intercept and avoid disgracing our company's good name (exception: sweets with the brand name "Minges"), but sometimes the mothership over in the Heimat would simply bypass the native speakers and go to print without consulting us. I suspect that's what's happened here, especially since the German for rapeseed is simply Raps. I'm surprised to see this coming from Aldi, though!

18. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Aldi is German so perhaps you can blame them for it?

It's a ludicrous fuss and quite honestly the woman who complained needs to get a grip.
    She should have been ignored.

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I suppose Phalacrocorax Aristotelis Black wouldn't be allowed either. o_O

kibosh and sabrinakat like this.
  20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

hate rape seed, makes me all asthmatic and sneezy.

HelenREMfan likes this.