1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too Early For Promoted Post?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Anon927482, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Anon927482

Anon927482 New commenter

Last week my school began advertising a 1 year promoted post to help with our Digital literacy Strategy. It would involve training staff, pupils & parents on how to use technology to improve their learning, as well as creating a roll out strategy. It’s fixed term and would be paid at PT level. I’m really interested in the job and a number of people in my department have already asked if I’m applying, as a lot of the role’s duties are things I’ve previously volunteered to do within my own department to help them out.

Honestly, if this was in 3/4 years time I’d be jumping at the chance as I’m incredibly passionate about tech in the classroom. I’m already running informal training sessions in my own department because I’m so excited about using tech in my class. The problem is I’m very newly qualified (nqt year was last year) and I’m aware that I still have lots to learn on the job (and in my subject). I also love teaching, and don’t want to leave the classroom behind. Would taking a year out for this post be detrimental to my future teaching? Is it possible to take a post like this and still keep a number of my classes, that way I can continue to develop my teaching abilities at the same time? I’m not phased by working lots of hours/in my own time if it’s beneficial.

I genuinely wish this had gone out as a volunteer role as I’d have thrown myself right in there, but paid pt is putting me off a little. Any advice? (Thank you for reading to the end!)

2. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Apply, but drop the incredibly passionate, tech is just a tool. I dont know anybody who would be incredibly passionate about a whiteboard, which is probably a more useful tool.

3. Jobalot

Jobalot New commenter

Just my opinion, but I would keep the 'incredibly passionate' - you come across as very sincere and enthusiastic.

4. essexboy

essexboy New commenter

Definitely go for it. Ignore the money (though definitely take it!). If you love it that much, it sounds like you wouldn't mind using your free time to research etc. Passion is a huge part of our job. Don't underestimate it!

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Of course go for it. Many promotions go to young NQTs, they have the time, and the flexibility that older staff with famiies are less likely to have. Plus they are further from the burn-out that gets most of us eventually.

My personal feelings, I HATE candidates calling themselves passionate. Maybe that is just me.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

At the school I've just retired from,that kind of role would have been tailored made for a NQT !

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The informative and polite thing to do is to contact your HT with a pre-application message, stating the above and asking if he/she would like you to apply for this role on that basis. Informative, because they might say "no, we cannot take anyone on that basis" so you can move on and stop wondering; polite, because if you just applied and stated this at interview they might have to say you are wasting your time, and you will also have wasted their's by planning an interview event to include you.
    The best result might be that your HT will feel inspired to adapt the role for a number of reasons, which will make your application stand out no matter who else applies or from what talent pool. You will be the only candidate able to offer a meld of current and future roles.

Watch out for becoming overloaded and underpaid, but then you knew that anyway.

Tip: nothing wrong with "passionate" if it is true. Nothing wrong with "relentless drive" if it is true. However perhaps avoid "I am relentlessly passionate in my drive to..." because you will make the interview panel die inside a little even if you can only see a small shuffle and a fist smothered cough.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  8. venny414

venny414 New commenter

Essentially, you need to construct/word/submit your application in a way that you feel most comfortable with. You alone are the one that will have to talk through and be quizzed on your application by an interview panel.

If you want to say that you're 'incredibly absolutely wholeheartedly kitchen sink passionate' about something then do it!

Good luck with everything.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  9. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Go for it - someone as passionate as you about tech should get this role! Let them make the decision.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  10. teacher4l1fe

teacher4l1fe New commenter

If you are happy with your teaching go for it and I agree you sound genuinely passionate about it.

Years ago I was very much in the same position though and decided to focus on developing my classroom teaching.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Apply, but don't tell them this bit!!!

It won't be a year out of the classroom...probably one fewer class or similar.
    So your colleagues respect your ability and passion, so no problem there.
    Is there a head of digital strategy or some such you can go and chat to?
    Or speak to your HOD and see what advice they have?

Piranha and jlishman2158 like this.
  12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Just do it. You sound like you’ll enjoy it, and who doesn’t want more money?!

13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I only enthused about tech in the classroom if it made the job easier and improved the student experience. I remember the advent of data capture in science - getting 12 groups of students to use light gates and laptops to investigate motion was an absolute nightmare. By the time everyone had set up the gear it was time to pack up. I swiftly returned to the good old ticker timers and tape.

14. Anon927482

Anon927482 New commenter

Thank you all for your sound advice/words of encouragement. I had a wee chat with my head of department and she told me to absolutely go for it, so I’m going to see the head teacher on Monday to express my interest. I’m going in with the knowledge that it will probably go to another member of staff (who has been doing a similar role for the past year) but I’ve got nothing to lose. So thank you all

15. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I would have a conversation with your line manager and register your interest. If they feel it is right for you, then they’ll recommend you. If they don’t, ask them to set up a career development plan with you so that you can prepare for promotion. I think it will go more so in your favour if you’ve got previous experience in these areas- you’ve got nothing to loose by going for it, but check with your LM first! Good Luck.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you HoD has given you her blessing, then I see no reason to not go for it. Good luck!

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I started developing the use of IT in my subject more or less from the word go in 1982, and it remained a shortage skill until I left the profession in 2013. I can honestly say I was never short of work or job opportunities throughout that time, even on supply in the last few years. It is a definite route to job security.

The only possible issue I can see you having is enthusing older teachers, ie finding ways to engage them that don't involve you gushing youthfully and over-enthusiastically about it, but some of them can be old stick in the muds anyway. I found that a recurring problem throughout my career. Top tip if you get the post - focus on building the teaching assistants' confidence with the technology first, as that will bring the most immediate benefits for the teachers.