1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too difficult?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by willowispa, Nov 6, 2019.

1. willowispa

willowispa New commenter

Ok, I have an interview this week, Year 2- an age I am used to teaching and I have done both of these lessons, but I have known the class. One I am planning on using subordinating words- with some at the beginning of sentences and the other similes. Apparently they are high ability so want to challenge them- what do you think, am I being over ambitious? The lesson contexts I am Ok with and it is a creative piece of writing as the outcome. I am having such doubts, have planned 2 lessons so far so can always do another one tomorrow as I have time! Any thoughts appreciated- thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My advice is to go with something you are most at ease with. Means you'll have more time to relax and let that personality shine through as you engage with the children. Doubts are sort of 'par for the course' with an interview observed lesson, so don't stress unduly about that.

Yes, challenge is good, but as they're an 'unknown bunch of individuals' have Plans B and C ready to change things on the day.

Good luck.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Use a picture as a stimulus and use the senses to describe it.
    Always goes down well because children come up with lots of ideas.
    Then you challenge them to uplevel their sentences by rearranging it ( e. G. Start with an adverb), uplevelling vocab, turning adjectives into noun phrases.

4. willowispa

willowispa New commenter

Thank you both for your replies. Lara, you are right, doubts are par for the course in interview!! I have calmed down today and have more confidence, think I will go with subordinating words- my initial plan. It is based on a great image- will let you know how it goes. Thank you for your time.