1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Too cool for school - and other new articles on TES New Teachers

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by gailrobinson, May 26, 2011.

1. WHy the tears littlemissraw?

2. Yep I read those too - I face another year unemployed because I teach a creative subject and now I am petrified that i may banter with the kids!

Howver they were interesting and made me feel It wasn't just me!!

3. Its not just teachers who try to be too cool and friendly with kids who can undermine whole school behaviour. Teachers who are overly strict and manage behaviour through intimidatino can also have a bad effect. I've found that trying to apply something of a humane classroom management approach, and as a new teacher where you don't have the same presence of authority built up yet, means when kids are in lessons with domineering and controlling teachers their built up fear and stress from being in that presence can come out in my lessons or others lessons where they don't have that fear factor.
    Also in schools where shouting is a common way of managing behaviour and responding to issues that can become institutionalised so that that is the onyl things kids respond to.