1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tonight's Glasgow EIS Open Meeting

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by halfajack, Feb 2, 2011.

1. And so.... we are on a hiding to nothing!

2. sbf

sbf New commenter

The problem is you have to recognise there are different issues regading Primary and Secondary. There should not be a problem with either group going out on strike alone, as it will disrupt either way.
    Its really a case for the unions to talk to each other, unfortunatly i dont think the 2 big players (EIS,SSTA do)
    Interesting that there are slightly more Secondary, i would have thought it would be slightly the other way.
    Maybe secondary issues should be more important [​IMG]

3. The way in which we seem to be getting attacked on all fronts makes me think they are prepared for strike action. Or, perhaps they think that there are too many waiverers in the teaching profession?

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

At the moment, we are. SSTA has rejected the COSLA package and (I believe) so has the EIS. The SNCT meets next Wednesday and I expect the teachers' side to reject the management proposals unanimously. But there will be further negotiations and I hope the EIS leadership maintain a firm line

I would add that during the action of the 80s, SSTA members took industrial(strike) action also. Ignore PAT, it's a non strike, non STUC union and is insignificant in its influence.

5. I believe that the government is using a strategy of breaking teacher solidarity by targeting certain groups. We need to stick together so they don't win and damage our kids educational experiences for years. If we don’t stick together we will all lose out.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I couldn't agree more.
    For those who don't think conservation is an issue we should be fighting to keep perhaps they need to put themselves in the shoes of someone with a conserved salary.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

A Heidie of my acquaintance opined that getting rid of conservation was fine until it was pointed out that a good way of saving cash would be to put a single heidie in charge a group of secondary schools. This would mean a drop of £30k in jig time.

Hmmmmm...

8. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

they will definetely try to pull us apart little by little -get us arguing amongst ourselves
    it's really important that we stand together and oppose any attempt to worsen our terms and conditions-full stop

9. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I thought the SSTA didn't strike. A meringue?

10. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

No a donut.
    SSTA members took strike action in the Houghton campaign (mid 70s), the Clegg campaign (late 70s), the Main campaign (early 80s). No strike action was needed in the campaign leading up to McCrone.
    During the Houghton campaign, SSTA and EIS teachers in secondary schools coordinated their action so that the minimum number of teachers were required to actually lose pay but the school closed.
    SSTA members don't consider strike action as a first option (nor does any teacher) but the option is there and if it's needed, it'll be used.

11. Certainly as far as I am aware the heads of RE were often APTs who are not under threat at the moment. Even if somehow they were able to prevent this move to remove department heads it wouldn’t have stopped heads from moving RE into any faculty convenient to them. I am not aware of many APTs of RE that didn’t go down without a fight.
    One thing that you should consider is the number of exAPTs of RE who continue to work outside the remit to protect and promote their subject. While their salary is conserved they are not given the time, budget or respect needed to do the job.
    I think that your assumption that conserved PTs get what they deserve is a bit unfair. I continue to do my job as a conserved PT and fight to keep my subject strong. However I feel that I am fighting a losing battle. If and when I fail please don’t blame it on me. The force to save money in schools is overwhelming.
    I suppose I don’t feel as sorry for the younger ones coming into promoted posts because, at least they chose to do so for the money they are paid. No one has kidded them on they will be paid an amount and then reduced it significantly.

12. APTs don't exist any more. I'm not sure what point you are making.

We obviously move in different circles. I certainly respect the ones you know, but they are not the ones I know. The overwhelming majority of teachers voted in favour of the McCrone Agreement, thus apparently proving that the great majority of the teaching 'profession' are completely thick. It worked for the primary teachers (of course), but for many secondary subjects (including mine) the dangers were obvious to anyone with more than three brain cells.
    QED. "I'm all right, Jack." Have you read the rest of this thread and seen what the employers' proposals currently are? The Chartered Teacher Scheme, which we were 'kidded on' would provide an alternative to promotion is about to be scrapped; up and down the country, authorities are changing to 33 period weeks in order to squeeze every minute of class time they can get out of teachers; we are about to lose holiday entitlement (and pay) that we were 'kidded on' went with the job

13. You have a really nice turn of phrase.
    I have read the rest of thread and if you read my earlier post the message that I have been giving is that we all need to stick together because if we don’t they will pick us off bit by bit. So it isn’t a case of I’m alright Jack.
    In my experience most heads of RE that went by the way under McCrone were APTs when they lost their promotion. I haven’t read anything which says they are at risk of losing their assimilated salary. That was my point.
    We are in for a real fight and we so we shouldn’t be fighting one another or arguing that one group of us is more deserving of support than another.

14. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

we shouldn’t be fighting one another or arguing that one group of us is more deserving of support than another.

this is of course what they want us to do

we must stick together

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Spot on.

16. EXACTLY!