1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tonight's Football Violence And Vandalism.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Jul 11, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Read the words of La Marseillaise. Horrible bloodthirsty stuff. !

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Off topic but just a bit, this is a Portuguese ad campaign for the health service: 75% of calls to 112 are not emegencies

[​IMG]

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Give the betting odds.

The thing is, England are currently down at 5:1 to win the world cup according to the bookmakers, so mindless yobbery tonight could result in the fans missing Sunday's game.

For those who don't understand betting odds, what this means is if you bet say £100 on England, you lose a hundred quid.

Geoff Thomas and vinnie24 like this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Not all football fans are yobs, but most yobs are football fans,

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am sick to death of that bloody song!

coffeekid and Mermaid7 like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The neighbour's getting angry!

8. Duke of York

By your account, your neighbours have had a relatively easy life, compared to most. They're bound to get angry when it doesn't always go their way.

But I doubt they'll be trashing the neighbourhood. Football yobs are just folk who latched onto a sport for an opportunity to express their anger about the lives they live. Unable to succeed in a career, unable to play football, unable to build meaningful relationships with anyone except other football yobs.

If they weren't so thick, they be be able to earn a living as criminals.

Note I'm talking about football yobs, rather than football fans, but it's a fine line that divides them, once the mania gets a grip.

9. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

Mine too!

10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I fear for the petunias.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Can anyone explain the meaning of 'football's coming home', has a football been left somewhere? Grammatically it makes no sense, I hate football and will be glad when TV is back to normall!!

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I could, but there's no need to.

It won't be coming home. Not this year anyhow.

13. Duke of York

Ain't it marvelous? I've spent all night trying to get my grandfather's waistcoat on ebay, just manage to get it listed, turn on the wireless, only to find that England let me down. What's it all about?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Over here we're back to doing buses for Bonfire Night.

drvs, Geoff Thomas and sparkleghirl like this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Better than the dirge sung by Ireland.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It was invented in England, supposedly but Hungary stole it in the fifties and then it was passed around Brazil, Germany, Italy, Uruguay and others. Now it will be back in England. It won't be for a while yet.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You could try singing "dolazi kući" as an antidote. Apparently that's Croatian for 'It's coming home'.

nomad likes this.
  18. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Today's the day!

racroesus likes this.
  19. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

To what extent does the apparent total loss of news values contribute to the overall problem?

Last night's 6 o'clock news on BBC TV spent the first twelve minutes on a football match which hadn't happened.

20. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Are the media covering it all up? There's nothing in the news about any violence.