1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tonights experiment - chili beef

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by grandelf, Apr 21, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

going to give this a go. Love it from the take away, so will try my own made one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chilli_beef_46473
    <h2>Preparation method</h2><ol class="instructions"><li class="instruction">For the beef, pour the vegetable oil into a deep fat fryer or medium saucepan and heat until it reaches 180C/350F, or when a small cube of bread dropped in turns golden in 30 seconds. (NB: Hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
    <li class="instruction">Whisk the eggs, cornflour and salt in a bowl to a thick batter.
    <li class="instruction">Coat the steak strips in the batter, shaking off any excess, and fry for two minutes in the oil, or until just crisp and turning golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen paper. Coat the carrot strips in the batter, shaking off any excess, and fry for two minutes in the oil, or until just crisp and turning golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen paper.
    <li class="instruction">Heat a wok with one tablespoon of the deep-frying oil. Add the spring onions, ginger, garlic and chilli and stir-fry for one minute.
    <li class="instruction">Add the sugar, vinegar and soy sauce, deep-fried beef and carrots and stir until well combined. Remove the pan from the heat.
    <li class="instruction">Serve the chilli beef with boiled rice, chilli slices and lime wedges.
    </ol>

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Sounds great. I personally find most takeaway versions of this too sweet, so I'd be interested to try it myself, with the option of tinkering with the amount of sugar and vinegar.
    I'd say there's an important item missing here - ice-cold lager!

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

well it wasn't pretty!!

The oil wasn't hot enough as I was guessing the temps, so the meat/batter was soggy.
    By the time I had heated up the oil and become confident with it the sauce has all gone to pot!

ended up with a home made casserole out the freezer!

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

This is the only way to ever learn how to cook, from the mistakes. It applies to virtually everything else in life as well. Now you know where you went wrong, you can improve and modify.
    I'd add that there are some recipes the average household isn't really equipped to cook. In my garage, there is a fantastic range cooker with what is described as a wok burner. There is no way it generates anything like the same heat as you'd get as those in a professional kitchen.
    A while ago I posted a thread about a visit I had to a professional cooker factory. It's serious stuff. All about cooking power, stuff you never get to learn about when discussing your kitchen design with the helpfull kitchen planner. They focus on cupboards and other ****, never on your cooking expectations.
    If you look at videos from the professional chefs, you'll see miraculous things occur within less than a a minute, but look closer at their cookers and ask yourself if yours match theirs.
    Here's a sample from the factory I visited:
    http://www.falconfoodservice.com/Menu.asp?SectionId=30010 They are all ugly in a modern household. Who would have one to impress their friends? And yet these are what the profesionals use.
    Read the spec on the various models and tell me if any kitchen designer ever spoke to you about the about the cooking power of the pretty models they wanted to sell you.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

lol having worked in a professional kitchen(s) I know only too well the difference between the kitchen and the professional kitchen!

as for a a kitchen designer, my last cooker for 4 years was a
    [​IMG] so anything is an improvement!

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Elfie mate, I promise you it could have been worse. You could have been subjected to my awful baked bean & sausage hotpot.
    It was heinous. [​IMG]

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

lol tonight was one of those days I shouldn't have gone in the kitchen

after killing tea, grabbed a 'curry' I had made that was in the freezer. Can nuke it to cooked in about 15 minutes

Half way though I got worried it was the curry were I had used stewing steak that was so chewy we had to removed the meat and go veggie!

On finishing cooking, it turned out to be a slow cooker casserole, then I nearly knocked the rice all over the floor!

Seems to be once it starts to go wrong, it will!

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

LOL! I definitely have days like this, where everything I touch seems to go awry.
    I seem to be having an extended period of this at the moment though.
    Good job we're going out for a Ruby tomorrow!