1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tonight it is colder here in Germany than at the South Pole...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Feb 6, 2012.

1. According to the official statistics.
    Having suffered -20°C for about a week (-23°C this morning) - we are heading for -30°C tonight.
    But hey, great joy - it is to get warmer by Wednesday and we will only have -12°C.
    I am not amused.
    My tootsies are freezing.
    How cold is it where you are?

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Summer at the South Pole

3. Tropical then, of course!
    [​IMG]
    I am used to lots of snow but this is bleddy cold!

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I lived in German in the mid 1980s. One of those winters was so cold that the day-time temperature did not rise above -11C for ages. (I remember it being 2 or 3 weeks, but maybe that's just memory...) The outdoor thermometer registered -23C at night. The Rhine at Wesel was frozen 3/4 of the way across, around the bridge and left just a narrow channel through the middle. I used to have to drive from Wesel, across the river and then 10 miles or so to go to work. I used to leave the house very early - before 6.30am - and STILL whatever time I left the roads had been cleared overnight! I so miss German efficiency!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It is very, very cold.
    Two pairs of socks <u>and</u> a pair of slipper-socks cold.

I can't understand why the government in the UK doesn't do more to prepare for the snow....looking out of the window - why <u>don't</u> they grit the road?

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I went to Germany (Frankfurt) in February 1988 on an "exchange" thing. It was snowing when I left the UK, and it had snowed when I got to Frankfurt, but it melted overnight and was mild the rest of the time I was there.

7. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Isn't it a legal requirement to clear the snow from outside your property in Germany? My friend lices in Dussledorf and gets a hefty fine if she doesn't shovel snow from the pavement outside her house. I suppose if everyone does it then it's all clear!

8. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Similar in Sweden -26C on Saturday night
    But spare a thought for the town of Sollefte&aring; where 8000 residents and the hospital were left without power in minus 26C for 6 hours from a fault in the remote heating system

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It is indeed, as my Mother continually reminds me, when it snows here.
    Countries which regularly have snow, are much more geared up to cope. Swiss trains even run to timetable!

10. I just cannot imagine temperatures of -25 plus. Enlighten me....what is it like?

11. It is about the point where a true Scot thinks about putting another tee shirt on.

12. Would a lassie on the pull put some knickers on?

13. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Does a true Scot buy more than one?

14. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

But not cold enough for a Durham local to go out clubbing in anything other than shorts and a strappy top.

15. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Eeeeh, that's northist! (true, though)

16. Yes, it is. You are also obliged to clear the pavements of leaves in Autumn and any obstacles at any time of the year, in fact.
    But only the path. And the owner of the property is responsible for the fine - but of course, will charge his tenants if it happens too often.
    The local council is responsible for the roads - and GL is right - no matter how early you leave home (I am in work by 7 am so leave at about 6.30) all the roads are usually clear - even the side roads.
    GL - I am not far from Wesel [​IMG]

17. Your thighs never really feel warm, no matter how many longjohns you wear.
    Your nose is numb.
    Your earlobes hurt underneath your hat.
    You find touching your steering wheel excrutiatingly painful, even with gloves.
    It hurts to breathe.
    But you have a clear head! [​IMG]
    It has got a bit warmer - we only had minus 9 today.

18. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Northampton was minus eleven this morning at half past five.
    Mr G started work at six and I had to go with him so I could have the car today.
    I noticed clouds of teeny glittery ice particles in the headlights - freezing air. Very pretty.
    Since I won't need the car for a few hours, I put it back in the garage afterwards and that's a short walk away on the other side of the housing estate. Thank goodness for shoe spikey things! [​IMG]

19. I don't think we have had lower than 4 degrees here this week - during the day anyway. I don't kno about night time.

20. My son has been posted to Germany for eighteen months - leaving at the end of the week. Stocking up on woollies for his little lad.