1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tom’s Naïve Question No 1! (tenon saws)

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by tommytech, Nov 23, 2018.

1. tommytech

tommytech New commenter

To any experienced DT practitioner’s:

Some class sets of tenon saws for the various year groups need ordering.

Now bearing in mind my grandmother always use to say “Cheapest is dearest in the long run”

I was thinking of the following:

https://www.technologysupplies.co.uk/atkinson-walker-tenon-saw-250mm-pack-10.html

If there are any alternatives you think are worth considering, then please let me know.

Thank you
    TT

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's not as if a school is going to use the saws as frequently as a craftsman and for the majority of time they will be sat in the rack. They'll also be subject to abuse ie. sawing into the wood vice, dropped, bent etc so if they're cheap and serviceable get them. Were I still teaching DT I wouldn't be planning long term sadly.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

£3.39 each is about the cheapest you can get ...

4. tommytech

tommytech New commenter

HbF: Thank you for replying: yes I agree, the £3 + looks very reasonable. As I said in my opening post, I just had a concern initially that it may have been a case of ‘cheapest is dearest in the long run’, however, in view of Shedman’s reply, perhaps these are looking the best option .

Shedman: Thank you also for replying, you have made some very valid points. In your reply you make reference to them being 'serviceable' but at that price, I presume these saws are going to be 'disposable'.

Shedman likes this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Hello Tommytech,

Good luck with your saws. When I was teaching DT I always bought the cheapest except for tools that were for my exclusive use and then I'd splash out a bit. I note that from the latest teacher recruitment statistics, recruitment to DT has all but collapsed with recruitment being at 25% of target and bottom of the table. I fear for the future of DT in schools so I'm glad you seem to be giving your students some practical skills. Well done and keep up the good work.

6. BW12345

BW12345 Star commenter

I wouldn't buy those. If you use them on modern materials, including chipboard or MDF, they'll be blunt extremely quickly because the materials are abrasive. Sure they're sharpenable, but no thanks!
    You really do need a "hardpoint" saw, where the teeth are heat treated. They stay properly sharp much much much longer - and you can teach about heat treatment of carbon steel. You can tell the difference because the teeth are "blued" by the treatment.
    I scouted round - Wickes etc are about £8.50, but these are cheap and have fine teeth, the ones I'd go for:
    https://www.toolsdiy.co.uk/tenon-saw-250mm £3

7. tommytech

tommytech New commenter

tes_BW

Thank you for replying to my post. Actually the saws shown in my original link are also 13 tpi (you need to look on the Tech Supplies website at P/N 600-107, rather than P/N 600-107pk10).

I may be mistaken but I think these saws are also 'hardpoint', (hence the point I made to Shedman about them being disposable rather than serviceable).

TT