1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tomorrows the day!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by ajtextiles, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Can't put it off any longer. Tomorrow I really will start the dreaded marking of controlled assessments as OCR that is both Year 10s and 11s. Just hope I'm not in for any nasty suprises. Perhaps i need suggestions on how to avoid finding things like the ironing and cleaning to do!?
    I just so wish we didn't feel judged by the way the students have done this work. I've worked hard and for the most part so have they. The keeping to the controlled asessment guide lines is an interesting one!!!
    Oh and after that there is all the preparation for the exams for both years again.

2. Can't put it off any longer. Tomorrow I really will start the dreaded marking of controlled assessments as OCR that is both Year 10s and 11s. Just hope I'm not in for any nasty suprises. Perhaps i need suggestions on how to avoid finding things like the ironing and cleaning to do!?
    I just so wish we didn't feel judged by the way the students have done this work. I've worked hard and for the most part so have they. The keeping to the controlled asessment guide lines is an interesting one!!!
    Oh and after that there is all the preparation for the exams for both years again.

3. Me too though I am doing Edexcel. Have marked them as I go though so not expecting too many surprises. Then it will be AS and A'level. They are usually worse. Students always tell you they have done everything and hand in a half full folder.!! Have just spent two days of the holiday trying to get the practical finished with the year 12's and 13's most of whom have missed and average of 5 double lessons each during the last half term, due to trips and illness. Ugh! I currently have some form of flu/laryngitus thing so now feel really drained and want a rest,. First time I have been ill in 8yrs! (of course it would be during the holiday).

4. If it's any consolation, I could procrastinate for England - perhaps they should make it an Olympic sport! There is an enormous pile of controlled assessment folders lurking menacingly in the corner of my living room which I am studiously ignoring, but am starting to dream about the dreaded things, so think it's probably about time I got on with it *sigh*.
    Good luck with your marking. I know it will all be worth it in the end, but dearly wish I could actually have a school holiday which didn't involve shed loads of work!
    Hmm, have just realised that I'm trawling the TES forums instead of knuckling down and doing the work - oops!

5. Had to teach Maths to GCSE at a previous school (on the grounds I had passed ALevel over 20 years before). However although it wasn't the best experience of my life at least they don't have the dresded Controlled assessments at all now! So they are on holiday.
    Slowly (very slowly) getting there with the marking. No nasty suprises so far as I did check their work as they went to ensure they knew what they were doing and meeting there FFT grade (which is another story considereing only meant to be 70% accurate and last year I had to explain why one student missed her A grade - and this was by one mark less than required out of 400! stupid or what?)

6. Not sure if my school still uses FFT but wherever the 'base grades' come from we now have base grades and target grades. The target grades are upper quartile so at least a grade above the others. On top of this we have to give a teacher prediction based on what we think they will get. So realistcally you could have 3 different grades. We are actually meant to use the upper quartile one. There are always students who don't achieve this.