1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tommy Robinson (aka Stephen Yaxley-Lennon) lunches with Lords

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7566426/tommy-robinson-boozy-lunch-house-of-lords/

I personally find this repellent and strongly object to even the smallest amount of my tax money subsidising this lunch.

And as for the post lunch PR, disgusting!

Robinson and his hosts later posed for photographs underneath a statue of 12th century Crusader King Richard the Lionheart that sits outside the House of Lords. He tagged the post to his 50,000 Instagram followers with “thank you to you all. The future belongs to us.”

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Wasn't there a song about that?

I really hope he's wrong.

It's actually 'Tomorrow belongs to me' but it was my first thought when I read that.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Richard the Lionheart despised England, probably didn't speak English, spent as little time as possible here, and just used it as a source of revenue for his wars (& when he was ransomed...) He chose to be buried in France: "Richard's heart was buried at Rouen in Normandy, his entrails in Châlus (where he died), and the rest of his body at the feet of his father at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_England#Character_and_sexuality)

So strange that Yaxley-Lennon idolises this European...;)

4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

For someone who complains he's silenced by the left all the time, he don't half spend a lot of time being interviewed by the media and having posh lunches with politicians.

slingshotsally, MAGAorMIGA and Jamvic like this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They should all pay for their lunches as most public service staff do.

InkyP and Jamvic like this.
  6. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Senior commenter

I AM BEING SUPPRESSED, NO FREE SPEECH!

says man standing on purpose built stage with a megaphone in front of Old bailey, after he buys close to £1 million house with money from "supporters" donating to non existent legal fees

Go home Britain, you're drunk

7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Totally agree. If the money from all the subsidised food & drink consumed in the Commons and Lords paid for just one extra teacher, or one extra nurse, paramedic, fireman or policeman it would be better spent.

needabreak and InkyP like this.
  8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Exactly!

slingshotsally likes this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Tommy Robinson - good old fashioned name? Not his only name though. His real name (the name that he has multiple convictions under) Stephen Yaxley-Lennon maybe sounds too upmarket for his fan base. He’s also just used the name Lennon and the aliases Andrew McMaster and Paul Harris, the former being the name on the passport he illegally tried to enter the US with.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....-real-name-stephen-yaxley-lennon-7786799/amp/

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Mr Yaxley-Lennon might gain a foothold in British politics very soon. He has no criminal convictions for racism and no criminal convictions for violence. He is a loose canon and not the sort of person I would be drawn to. He's very much a lad into football and boxing etc but I respect his commitment to what he believes is right.

The mainstream media won't report it but yesterday after his court hearing he gave a speech. It's worth listening to. It's on YouTube.

One point he raised was that because there was a reporting ban on the Huddersfield trial and the other two associated trials, when a defendant jumped bail and has now been missing for over five months the public were not informed of this man being on the loose.

Yaxley-Lennon knew this when he was reporting on the process of the trial and quoting BBC information in the public domain. Of course, neither did the BBC report this man skipping bail. Mr Yaxley-Lennon was only able to share this information after the ban was lifted after the sentencing of the twenty men.

The police still haven't caught this man who jumped bail. Another man jumped bail and fled the country this was also not reported. Once the reporting ban was in place and all the defendants had been given bail, if any went on the run the public could not be informed.

woollani and George_Randle like this.
  11. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Three truly vile people. I hope that image of the UKIP leader will be out around social media.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

In that case,I'm out of there. Goodbye UK.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

He's a convicted thug:

Assault
    In 2005, Robinson was jailed for 12 months for assault occasioning actual bodily harm, for which he was sentenced to 12 months’ imprisonment, and assault with intent to resist arrest, for which he received a concurrent term of three months.

Assaulting a police officer
    In 2010, Robinson was charged with assaulting a police officer during clashes at a poppy burning protest. After the fighting, a police officer was taken to hospital after trying to intervene in a 50 man brawl.

Rooftop protest
    In 2011, Robinson and EDL co-founder Kevin Carroll flew to Zurich to protest on the roof of a FIFA building that England were not allowed to wear poppies on their kit because of FIFA’s political symbol ban. They were fined £3,000 for their troubles.

Assault at his own rally
    In 2011, Robinson was convicted of assault for an attack at an EDL march in Blackburn. After he was goaded for being a government and police informant Robinson launched into a verbal tirade against those protesting against him. Robinson then proceeded to headbutt one of the march goers.

Luton football riot
    In July 2011, Robinson was found guilty of leading a brawl that included 100 Luton Town football fans into a fight with Newport County fans. Fans were heard chanting ‘EDL till I die.’ For the crime committed, he was given a suspended 12-month prison sentence and banned from Luton football matches for 3 years.

Using someone else’s passport
    In January 2013 Robinson was jailed for 10 months for travelling to the USA on his friend’s passport. Robinson admitted the charge of possession of a false identity document with improper intention. The passport Robinson used was under the name of Andrew McMaster. He checked himself in on the way out from Heathrow airport however when he arrived in the USA customs officials took his fingerprints and realised he was using a passport that was not his own.

Mortgage fraud
    In 2014, Tommy Robinson was sentenced to prison for 18 months for committing mortgage fraud with the crime dating back to 2009. After pleading guilty in November 2013 to committing £160,000 worth of mortgage fraud Robinson was sentenced at St Albans Crown Court.

Whilst passing the sentence, the judge told Robinson: ‘This was an operation which was fraudulent from the outset and involved a significant amount of forward planning.’

“I am satisfied you took part in a thoroughly dishonest course of conduct,’ he told him.

https://www.the-round.co.uk/charges-on-tommy-robinson-rap-sheet/

And these on top of Contempt of Court conviction...

Incidentally your comment: I respect his commitment to what he believes is right is, of course, one of the great lies. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot et al all were committed to what they believe was right.

14. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

As are most people. But I didn't know he had those convictions for violence. Politically that should put a brake on things.

He seems very driven. Almost to destruction.

woollani likes this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The political establishment is petrified he may move back into mainstream politics, not least if they do what they really want to and overturn or deny Brexit.

He could easily - too easily - be the UK's Trump.

woollani likes this.
  16. red_observer

I really don’t think British people are THAT thick.

17. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Yeah. I thought that. Then I spent a while thinking about the most averagely intelligent person I know, and observing how they come to their political views and opinions. And realised that half the people in this country are thicker than them. It was a very depressing epiphany.

18. FrankWolley

Not with his criminal record. Another Nick Griffin, or less.

Jamvic and slingshotsally like this.
  19. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Has the Royal British Legion come out against the EDL and other neo fascists using the poppy as a totem? In this iconic year, in particular, it needs to come out strongly against its increasing use by right wing extremists . The flag of St.George has already been tarnished by these thugs.

20. red_observer

Think you’re right!

Jamvic likes this.