1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tomatoes - is it me...?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gorgybaby, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ...or are the corey bits much whiter and stronger and fibrous than they used to be? Ugh.I end up cutting half the tomato out.

2. Ah. Yes, just me, then.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I grow my own and they're delicious so I can't really comment...sorry!

4. Not just you gorgy. I had to cut huge chunks out of the tomatoes I bought recently to make sauce with as the core was solid. [​IMG]

5. Thanks, both, I was beginning to think this was a local forum, for local people! I think I will write to my local tomato supplier and get up a petition...

6. Petition? Good luck with that.
    The problem is with the breeding. Tomatoes for commercial production are specifically bred for toughness - literally. They're supposed to bounce when they're dropped.

7. Apparently, the British consumer likes tomatoes to be hard ( keep longer and easy to slice), uniformly round and flavourless
    I don't know how they worked that one out - noone ever asked me.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I can well believe that. I have friends who throw tomatoes out for being overripe [​IMG] ...they're not overripe - that's just how they are supposed to be!!!

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

"Rock-hard salad tomatoes" - a phrase, used by greengrocers, that makes me shudder.