1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tomato Soup and other recipes that will be gentle on my tummy!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Eva_Smith, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I've been suffering for the past week or so with terrible bloating, as soon as I eat. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm eating, the bloating it totally random. For instance, last Wednesday I went to an Italian restaurant for lunch with friends; I ate potato skins, a pasta dish and a piece of garlic bread....no bloating. I felt comfortable enough afterwards to walk back to the car which was parked about a 20 minutes walk away.
    Yet in the past two days I've avoid carbs completely and have bloated almost as soon as I eat (e.g. I ate a Cod fillet with ratatouille, no potatoes or bread, but bloated as soon as I began to eat). Similar, I've bloated when I HAVE eaten carbs, so there doesn't appear to be a pattern.
    I'm intending on going to the doctor next week, but need some recipes that will be gentle on my tummy to tide me over until I can get an appointment. I'd like to make a lovely tomato soup that will be light but satisfying, but any other nice light recipes would be greatly appreciated.
    I'll pop out and buy ingredients tomorrow morning for recipes, but I'd like to make the tomato soup today, therefore I only have canned chopped tomatoes (good quality ones though).
    Please help!

2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I've been suffering for the past week or so with terrible bloating, as soon as I eat. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm eating, the bloating it totally random. For instance, last Wednesday I went to an Italian restaurant for lunch with friends; I ate potato skins, a pasta dish and a piece of garlic bread....no bloating. I felt comfortable enough afterwards to walk back to the car which was parked about a 20 minutes walk away.
    Yet in the past two days I've avoid carbs completely and have bloated almost as soon as I eat (e.g. I ate a Cod fillet with ratatouille, no potatoes or bread, but bloated as soon as I began to eat). Similar, I've bloated when I HAVE eaten carbs, so there doesn't appear to be a pattern.
    I'm intending on going to the doctor next week, but need some recipes that will be gentle on my tummy to tide me over until I can get an appointment. I'd like to make a lovely tomato soup that will be light but satisfying, but any other nice light recipes would be greatly appreciated.
    I'll pop out and buy ingredients tomorrow morning for recipes, but I'd like to make the tomato soup today, therefore I only have canned chopped tomatoes (good quality ones though).
    Please help!

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I think fresh tomatoes that have been roasted first make the best soup, but if you've got tinned:
    Soften chopped onions, celery, and carrots in oil and butter with s&p for 20-30 minutes on a very low heat until very soft and disintegrating, but not coloured at all. Add tomatoes and a bay leaf and a pinch of sugar and cook for about 5 minutes. Add stock, bring to boil and simmer very slowly for about 30 minutes. Puree and pass through a sieve, reheat and add a drop of double cream, stirring, checking seasoning, but not allowing to boil. Add some shredded basil at the end if you have some.

4. my mum used to do cheese on toast in an odd way
    put the bread to toast
    put some milk in a pad
    crumble some crumbly cheese into it as it heats, when it thickens pour over the toast.