1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tomato Ketchup

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Aug 5, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have a huge glut of tomatoes at the moment and I want to make some ketchup with them - we're going away tomorrow so I want to make some this afternoon so they don't go past their best when they're away. I have a well-stocked storecupboard and plenty of other veg in the garden, so tried and tested recipes please!
    Whoever supplies the best recipe, you will be rewarded with a special virtual hug!

2. egyptgirl

I have a huge glut of tomatoes at the moment and I want to make some ketchup with them - we're going away tomorrow so I want to make some this afternoon so they don't go past their best when they're away. I have a well-stocked storecupboard and plenty of other veg in the garden, so tried and tested recipes please!
    Whoever supplies the best recipe, you will be rewarded with a special virtual hug!

3. Ooooh! Me miss! I use the ketchuprecipe site link cos I can never find the one I want in whichever book it is hiding in.
    You can use a mix of fresh and tins of tomatoes.
    Lots of other recipes leave out some/all of the spices, so mine gets whatever I have in at the time!
    And I halve it, usually, it is quite easy to make smaller amounts.
    It is tangy and fresh tasting!

4. I am out of the running then as I don't make ketchup but I do make gallons of tomato sauce. I can then add it to casseroles, bolognese, make soup or simply have it with pasta.
    My tomatoes are garbage this year [​IMG]

5. Mine are refusing to do anything that resembles growing!

6. egyptgirl

Simmering on the stove as I type...thanks Pobble!
    [​IMG]
    I don't really eat that much ketchup but Scarlett is developing her Daddy's habit of requesting it with every meal. As soon as I sit her in her high chair and put her bib on, she points to the pantry where I keep it and gurgles (Mr EG doesn't point and gurgle but you get my drift) so if I can make some at least I'll know whats in it.

7. egyptgirl

Do you freeze it, Cosmos? I've made tomato sauce and frozen it in the past and its tasted horrible!
    I don't quite know what I've done but they're ripening faster than we can eat them...and we eat a lot of tomatoes! I've told my neighbour to help herself while we're away - I hope she does as I dread the amount we'll come back to. Same for runner and French beans - I've got huge amounts.

8. ljr

ljr New commenter

I think I'll be needing a recipe that makes half a jar of green tomato chutney! My greenhouse has ten tomato plants and they have jointly produced about a dozen green marbles so far.

9. Where do you live EG? I'm coming round to nick your tomatoes!!!
    I freeze it my sauce very successfully - don't think I do anything special.....just bung it in. Oh, I'm drooling at the thought and crying because if i get more than 1lb I'll be doing well.

10. I'll race you cosmos - and I drive a fast car [​IMG]

11. egyptgirl

South London Cosmos - If you can get into my garden, you can have them!

12. Boo hoo - just a bit far! All yours then Pob.....

13. egyptgirl

Not to rub it in but when I was getting the washing in off the line earlier on, I had a quick peek in the greenhouse and about 12 more ripened overnight...so we're having bruschetta for lunch.