1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tom Fletcher Teaching Ideas

Discussion in 'English' started by savillmolly, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Chrollo1996

Chrollo1996 New commenter

Hey guys!

I'm a student on her PGCE year, with my next placement in Year 1.
    I'm super duper keen on using Tom Fletcher's books in my lessons (There's a Dragon/Monster/Elf in your book), due to being a big fan myself, as well as loving the way he has with words and children.

Has anyone ever used his books in Year 1? Or teaching in general? I have a few ideas I'd love to use, but I'm all open to inspiration!

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I don't think they are aimed at year 1 children.
    Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Look on TES and other sites and use year 1 resources for year 1 children. They have been developed by far more experienced teachers than you. (Not meant unkindly)

3. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

I don't know the author, and I agree with Saluki. If it isn't suitable for using as a teaching resource, read them some short extracts and say why you love it. Get them to read to their friends the best bits of books they love, but be careful not to alienate them with something that is so much more advanced than their own reading. Talk to them about why you love his work and use this to spring board them into talking about their favourites.

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

He wrote the Christmasuarus. He's very popular with older children. There's loads of dinosaur resources for year 1 children.

5. Chrollo1996

Chrollo1996 New commenter

Great, thanks guys! :)