1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Told Off

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pinkglitter, May 10, 2012.

1. I was told off today in a 'nice' way because I have been leaving on time at the end of the day. [​IMG]
    Legally do I have to stay until a particular time? I asked this and was told that it was just I couldn't possibly be getting everything done so it was a "concern."

jlishman2158 likes this.
  2. I was told off today in a 'nice' way because I have been leaving on time at the end of the day. [​IMG]
    Legally do I have to stay until a particular time? I asked this and was told that it was just I couldn't possibly be getting everything done so it was a "concern."

3. No, that's a jobsworth you're dealing with. As long as you're getting done what you need to get done, there shouldn't be an issue. Maybe you're working more efficiently than other teachers and need less time than them to do stuff and it makes them uneasy. It's their problem though.

jlishman2158 and bonxie like this.
  4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Your school should have a clear directed time allocation, indicating at what time directed time starts and finished. Outside of that, you are free to do your work when and where you like.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think we are expected to stay about 10-15 mins at the end of each day. But other than that it's up to you.

6. It's really strange, I was called into the Deputy Head's office for a "chat" about leaving on time. I feel really paranoid now but I have to leave at 3:35 at the latest (school finishes at 3:05) to pick my daughter up, and the know this.I hate the fact they've been watching me leave.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  7. Does this person have a live feed to your house? No, they are second guessing you without the proper facts plus they have no right to dictate how you manage your time outside of your contracted hours. Time and time again i have seen and heard of colleagues who have nothing better to do than play "I work the hardest". To get this in perspective, I have worked in industry where you are questioned about your time management if you spend too long in the office!

8. If you wanted to be really pompous about it you could always say "I do loads of work at home as it is difficult to concentrate in school,and with less interruptions" Let's see what their response would be?

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

It's all about how you work best AND what other commitments you have.
    In my previous departmnt, the HOD worked very long hours and she approved of anyone who stayed late and worked at their desk. I didn't do this to be swotty; I just find it easier to stay and work longer in the building (without distractions) than come home and try to tear myself away from the sofa to work.
    In my new school, the HOD who is a dad with two young boys is out of the door before most other staff. He has no idea how long I stay for in the evenings and it wouldn't matter.

10. Find out what the directed hours are - usually arrive by a certain time and leave after another time. Some schools it is 15 minutes after the bell at the end of the day, some schools it is up to an hour. Depends how long your school day is.
    As long as you attend the relevant after-school meetings and parents evenings, etc, and you are leaving after the directed time then it is none of their business what time you go. It's even worse if they know that you have a child to collect.
    Keep a record of this meeting, in case it turns into snowballs into something else. I really, really hope it doesn't.

cazzmusic1 and jlishman2158 like this.
  11. There is a requirement (perhaps accepted custom and practice?) that teachers should stay at the end of the school day for a reasonable period of time to see the children safely off the premises. I don't think it's in the Burgundy Book or STP&C but I think it's widely accepted as a reasonable part of the 1265 directed hours. My school accepts 10 minutes is sufficient

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

As a parent I always found it more convenient to leave school early and did anything that could be done at home at home. My daughter is grown up now but I still have to leave fairly early to see my elderly Dad, I do get in early in the morning though. This slight flexibility has always been one of the advantages of the job.

13. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If your daughter is young enough, put in a flexible working request: flexible working is not just about part-time, it's also designed to enable people to request to spread their hours differently, or do some work from home. Ask to work your current hours, working from 8.30 to 3.20 (plus any directed meetings) on the premises, and the remainder of your hours from home. They are going to be unable to find any justification for turning this down, and then you have a piece of paper entitling you to go home. Oh, and the head will probably face some questions from the governors as to why the application was necessary!

14. I was once told that because I did not stay as late as other teachers after school (was always there unti 5:30) I should consider coming in on a sunday to make up my time!

jlishman2158 and palmtree100 like this.
  15. Our directed hours are 8:45 - 3:45 if that's any help?

jlishman2158 likes this.
  16. I always stay 15 minutes after school as I always thought we had to stay ten minutes after the children (I add 5 because I always go to the loo at the end of the day!) There isn't anything in directed hours about staying beyond this.
    I only recently returned from maternity leave and this has made me feel uncomfortable. I think they want me to leave.
    Frustum,they would <u>never </u>accept a flexible working request.

17. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I worked with someone who only stayed as long as the Head did. They would clear off 5 minutes afterwards. Luckily for them the Head rarely stayed late. Some people prefer to stay at work as it is easier and some do it for show. If you are going to put in a flexible working request check with your union the implications and how to word it.

18. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

There's a lot of teachers who play the I was here until 7pm last night type card. They are often the ones without children or other commitments. I personally usually stay about an hour after school to get things sorted but that's my choice. Sometimes I'm out the door by 3.30pm and why not. What other job is it deemed incorrect to go home when your working day is over?

19. Under my last 2 headteachers, our directed time has been 8.40 til 4.00. I know a lot of people on here have much more flexible arrangements and leave earlier, but I did sit down once and checked and yes it works out within our directed time budget that the head's could set that time. We were expected to inform them if we were going to be leaving before them.

Without wanting to sound rude, where is it that you must pick your daughter up from? Do you have a long commute, or could you arrange or extend your childcare provision to take the pressure off, if nothing else. I know I couldn't manage to see parents after school when needed or attend the staff meeting if I was leaving 15 minutes after the kids had finished. My childminder is employed til 5 so I have to leave at 4.45 to get my daughter and some nights it is a rush to get away if I've got caught up in a particular job.

20. What time do you get there in the morning? Does anyone see what time you arrive?
    Most of our staff prefer to be in early, (7.30 ish and leave after 4pm). We finish at 3.15pm and 4pm is the earliest we can leave. A lot of us have children but somehow we all seem to have the same arrangements where we go in early and leave our partners with the morning drop offs and we see to the end of the day.