1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Told off. Twice!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rachelpaula008, Jun 21, 2015.

1. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Went to the supermarket earlier - a big one beginning with 'S'.

I wanted two carrots. The loose carrot tray was empty but a small bag nearby contained those of an ideal size. I only wanted two. So I discreetly ripped open the bag and took my dream carrots.

As I walked away a security guard said something like, "Excuse me madam. Please don't do that again. If you ask a member of staff they can help." I apologised and walked off with slightly reddened cheeks.

In the cereal aisle I dithered. Now - a box of cereal takes me weeks to get through. Decided on Cheerios and pulled out a few boxes to look for a later 'best before' date. As I was putting the others back I managed to knock a number of boxes off the shelf. The same security guard happened to be in the aisle, (must have been following me,) and said approximately the same as during 'carrotgate'.

The truth is I don't like wasting food!! I paid and left the store with my cheeks aflaming! [​IMG]

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Well, you made me smile, Rachel!!

3. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'd be shopping in another supermarket from now on. I hate being in the 'wrong' and totally feel your mortification.

I ferret out the long dates too.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

He fancies you.

OBVIOUS.

:)

5. The carrots thing was naughty!! I remember a time when my mum was up-in-arms over banana pricing - apparently if you bought them loose they were much cheaper than the ones in bags. One time my mum got talking to a member of staff and said "Why should I pay extra for that bag - why can't I take them out of the bag and weight them?" and he told her that would be theft as they are not the same variety of bananas, the ones in the bags are more expensive because they're better bananas.

The cereals thing was just an accident, how dare he!?

If you shopped at Waitrose you wouldn't need to dig deep for long dates, they are so appalling about stock rotation, the newest dates are in the front and the old stuff at the back!

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

How very daring you are, rp.

I would have tried to alert a staff member to the paucity of carrots and waited for reinforcements.

The cereal? Well, that was intimidation. Probably a level of surveillance that contravenes the European Convention on Human Rights. You were probably shaking like a jelly by that stage.

Maybe he does fancy you, eh? ;o)

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I agree about the carrots, but it is difficult when you only want a small amount of something. It's a waste of money to buy the large quantity in packages, unless you can cook/freeze whatever it is. We often have a limited range of veg to choose from because they are packaged for a fsmily.

The cereal though, is perfectly acceptable. I thought everyone rummaged at the back to find the longest date! Essential if you're buying stuff you don't want to use immediately.

Apparently our shopping habits are changing and we are no longer buying food for a week or month, but taking small shopping trips every couple of days. Don't know how thst fits with meal planning or fsmily budgets though.

8. rachelpaula008

I do this as a 'singleton', foxtail. If I plan a week's menu it doesn't work as I've no-one else to cook for. I'm not being depressing here - honest. But I can't see the point and get food day-to-day at present.

But - I liked the following answers earlier - they made me smile and chuckle...

Dragaonlady - thank you.

Guinesspuss - I made mistakes - but think I caused them...

Coffeekid - obviously!! I am gorgeous.

Rustybug - I needed those carrots, theft or not. Hmmm

GDW - Yes def infringement of human rights. Or perhaps clumsiness. Obviously gorgeous as per coffeekid : )

Just cooking carrots ha ha

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

You should try shopping in Lidl. The items in your basket might be in date when you take them off the shelf but out of date by the time your get them through the check out.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

well done JR that made me laugh

Tesco i always root for the longest date and yet will buy the reduced date stuff......i got a whole £3 cake for 30p the other night...sadly to say it got eaten.

You did well to find a security guard on the floor....in Tesco they hover by their consul and wait for the buzzer to go.

11. housesparrow

housesparrow New commenter

I always ferret at the back for the longest sell by dates. As a busy working Mum I don't have time to shop more than once a week. Take your business elsewhere if you possibly can.

12. rachelpaula008

[​IMG]

I'd have fainted if that'd happened to my carrots...

They're not quite done yet.

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Doesn't everybody always go for the longest dated ietms? Particularly on perishables? (I don't bother on tinned goods as they are pointless and disregard the whole nature of "canning")

14. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Lidl reminds me of the DHSS (Jobcentre, or whatever it's called these days), where the pace of 'customer service' is geared to those who are thought to have time on their hands and nothing better to do, like the retired and the unemployed.

Fortunately, my wife goes through receipts, bank statements, etc., item by item. On a few occasions, she has found that items in Tesco marked down as 'reduced' had mysteriously gone back up too full price at the check out.

15. grumpydogwoman

Ha! How 'bout this?

4 lemon fools for £2. It's an offer that's been on for months. But got to checkout and a couple had (tiny, I hadn't noticed) reduced stickers. 49p.

Now because they had reduced stickers they didn't register as part of the deal. So that was 2 @ 70p and 2 @ 49p. Total £2.38!!!!

Luckily I noticed and the poor cashier had to go through the palaver of voiding the 70p fools and making them into 49p fools. Total £1.96.

16. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

When I worked for two different supermarkets, people used to open the bagged carrots then weigh them as if they were loose to try and get a cheaper price.

17. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

My uncle, who is 86, makes me laugh when he's shopping. He too lives alone and when he chooses bananas, instead of picking a small bunch of six, he take one banana off several bunches because he only likes them a certain size. I don't know why - it just seems odd! [​IMG]

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The OP sounds like the sort of base scoundrel who'd lie to the automated checkout about how many of their own bags they've used in order to pick up free Nectar points.

19. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I once blagged an extra Tesco point because I had bought a washing up bowl which I then used to carry the rest of my shopping - I expect that makes me a base scoundrel too. [​IMG]

20. grumpydogwoman

I have done much worse.

I spent £20 on Tu clothing to get nectar points. Then I RETURNED the clothes.