1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Told off for leaving at end of school day!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Cpat1, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Cpat1

Cpat1 New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently 7 months pregnant and working as hard as ever!
    Today I was ‘told off’ for leaving the school at 3:30pm on about 3/4 occasions.

I justified these occasions as I had appointments (flu jab/whooping cough etc) Which I made outside school time.
    In addition I have to stay for parents evenings despite not having a class.

I am exhausted after a days work and my evenings are so full with classes and hospital tours etc.

I’m just desperately disappointed with the lack of support I’m receiving and wondered if anyone else had experienced similar?

Thanks for listening
    :)

2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Rather a ridiculous thing to be told off for in my opinion;
    • especially as you don't have a class
    • considering your condition

Cpat1 likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Ask for a review of your pregnancy risk assessment. Point to swollen ankles and explain that if you are unable to rest properly at the end of the school day, you may have to get signed off. If you're getting the job done, it's ridiculous to keep you in school for the sake of it.

(I have memories of the term my car pool left very promptly in order that we could get home before my colleague's afternoon sickness kicked in. Fortunately it was back in the day when teachers were trusted to be professional and make their own decisions.)

bonxie, Cpat1 and guinnesspuss like this.
  4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

What time do the children go home? Often the directed time includes half an hour after the end of the school day. After that time, it's up to you to choose when to leave.

Regarding parents' evening, have they said what they want you to do?

(do as for a review of your RA as frustrum mentions)

Cpat1 likes this.
  5. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

Why are teachers not trusted nowadays?

My dad taught for 40 years, he was out the school at 4pm (20 minutes after last lesson) almost every day. You could see the staff at my school emptying out the car park as we waited for the bus in the 1990s (and they went to the pub on a Friday lunchtime).

Cpat1 likes this.
  6. Cpat1

Cpat1 New commenter

Thanks for all your support guys.
    The children leave at 3:30pm and on one occasion 2:30pm (& I left at 3:30pm).
    I’m just appalled at the lack of trust and support I’m receiving.

I am now 10 hrs into a 12hr day as they insist I have to stay for parents evening...I barely have a task and it’s simply to insist I stay, no other feasible reason.

I am planning to log it with my union simply to have it on record.

Thanks again
    :)

Moony and bonxie like this.
  7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Your union should be more-actively involved than just having your treatment 'logged' because it is unlawful to subject you to unfavourable treatment because you are pregnant. You must be allowed paid time off (during work hours, if necessary) to attend ante-natal appointments and that includes for things like essential vaccinations as directed by your midwife or doctor.

@frustrum is right to remind you of the risk assessment. This is mandatory for pregnant women under health and safety legislation and the school has a duty to review it regularly and ensure that your needs are being met.

8. Cpat1

Cpat1 New commenter

I will definitely be asking to review my risk assessment tomorrow as my feet were beginning to tingle after 10 hrs of working straight!

I will ask for advice from my union too.

In addition to this, I found out today that a colleague was told that they had to cover a class I was supposed to cover because I had an appointment...I did not! I was covering another teacher's class who was off sick!

I feel like they're using my pregnancy to manipulate others and I don't really know what to make of it or what to do?!

:(

9. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Insisting someone who is 7 months pregnant works a 12 hour day is a health and safety issue. They are knowingly putting the health of you and your baby at risk. Definitely time to get the union involved.

Cpat1 likes this.
  10. Gavster77

Gavster77 New commenter

Is there any written agreement among staff that you stay to work at the end of the school day? Or is it under the category of someone - and is this your headteacher? - on a whim advising you that it is "bad form, old bean".

Anything that is declarative - a unilateral, unheralded decision by management - is ripe for union intervention at any level. Even a fast food outlet manager suddenly turning around to her/his staff and saying "why do you not all bow when I walk in the room?" is shaky if it is just a verbal whim of a request and not negotiated or written/contractual.

Cpat1 likes this.
  11. Cpat1

Cpat1 New commenter

I met with my head and I have to stay until 3:45pm which is reasonable. The deputy head was the one who insisted I stay, which was passed through my line manager.
    I have now been told that if I have had a particularly tiring or demanding day, I should inform my line manager and am entitled to leave at 3:45pm.

I will be asking in advance if I am expected to stay until 6:30 for parents evening again this week (meaning an 11hr day).

All very vague but I have a few weeks left so hopefully I can make it!

Thanks for the support

bonxie likes this.
  12. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Good - it sounds as if your head is being reasonable. The deputy probably still has something to learn about managing staff...