1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Told my school im leaving

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cally1980, Jan 29, 2011.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I know I didnt have to give notice til May but all teachers at my school received an email asking our intentions for the next school year. Unfortunately my SLT had been told by my mentor that I was struggling with the work - life balance and was considering my options so I know they were indirectly asking me, therefore I felt the need to declare my intentions for the next academic year, for fear of being accused of being deceitful.

I emailed SLT back explaining that it was my intention to seek part time work for the next school year and received a brisk reply accepting the email as written notice.

I feel like the black sheep now - and im concerned that the rest of the school year will suffer, there seems to be a pattern where people who leave are almost made outcasts. Im even concerned that this will affect whether or not I pass NQT year :(

On top of this im now scared about finding employment for September! Part time work is notoriously difficult to come by and I have not had the opportunity to look around and wait for the jobs to start coming out before handing in my official notice as the school asked so early. It feels like once they got wind that I was struggling they wanted me 'officially' gone asap - I was surprised an emailed response to a general enquiry was so swiftly taken as official written notice, naive maybe but I thought I was just declaring my intentions!

2. cally1980

I know I didnt have to give notice til May but all teachers at my school received an email asking our intentions for the next school year. Unfortunately my SLT had been told by my mentor that I was struggling with the work - life balance and was considering my options so I know they were indirectly asking me, therefore I felt the need to declare my intentions for the next academic year, for fear of being accused of being deceitful.

I emailed SLT back explaining that it was my intention to seek part time work for the next school year and received a brisk reply accepting the email as written notice.

I feel like the black sheep now - and im concerned that the rest of the school year will suffer, there seems to be a pattern where people who leave are almost made outcasts. Im even concerned that this will affect whether or not I pass NQT year :(

On top of this im now scared about finding employment for September! Part time work is notoriously difficult to come by and I have not had the opportunity to look around and wait for the jobs to start coming out before handing in my official notice as the school asked so early. It feels like once they got wind that I was struggling they wanted me 'officially' gone asap - I was surprised an emailed response to a general enquiry was so swiftly taken as official written notice, naive maybe but I thought I was just declaring my intentions!

3. I would be checking that the emailed reply would count as official notice of leaving. Check this out properly. I'm shocked at the manner in which this has been done. Have the school offered any measures of support for you? Why are SLT e-mailing staff - can this not be done face to face? How big is the school that you can't speak to colleagues about such serious matters?!

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I agree, just because you intend to seek it does not mean you have handed in your notice! Check with someone - ie your union or your old uni tutor. There is no guarentee that you will find work (although I hope you do if they're that unfriendly!) x

5. cally1980

Well, it is big for a Primary - we have 24 class teachers. However, if they had asked face to face it would have been off the record & I would have been instructed to put it in writing, therefore I assumed the email would serve under the same principles.
    As for support, I have a support plan in place whereby I have regular observations and planning meetings with SLT, with regular targets on top of my usual NQT observations. I don't know what is standard or expected but as an outstanding school expectations are high and I dont seem to be meeting them.

The reply just seems so final, and formal too. They were so quick to reply with the whole 'I accept this email as your written notice'!

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Definitely contact your Union!
    It is not handing in your notice if you simply told them what you wished to be your employment situation in the next school year! For a start, it could be easily taken as preliminary notice of you asking them to consider you for p/t work.
    If you need job security, you and /or your Union should be following up with a written (not email) communication outlining that you have not resigned and will only be doing so if you secure alternative work. State that you regarded your response to their message as notifying them of your intention to apply for other jobs IF something suitable is advertised.

7. Absolutely. You have every right to hold on to your official note of resignation until you have secured, or at least started seeking, employment elsewhere.

8. cally1980

Thanks, I might give the union a call, though to be honest this has reinforced the fact that the school is not for me. I am concerned about the atmosphere over the next few months though and bringing the union in would probably make that even worse! I think i will just sit tight and make sure I am keeping all evidence of meeting the standards.

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

You should not have replied to the email. You should have gone to see your HT for an informal chat, explaining your feelings and that you would like to seek part-time employment for next year. It might be that someone else is wanting to go part-time and therefore a job share could be created. The school is obviously thinking of possible redundancies and wanting to know if anyone is retiring/moving on to avoid having to make people redundant; two staff entering a job share saves a salary and could help the situation.
    Now, I'd suggest to speak to your HT face-to-face and explain that you did not intend your email as official notice. Should you been unable to secure part-time employment before the notice deadline, you may wish to stay, full-time.
    You've ended up in a difficult situation now due to your inexperience (which isn't your fault!!). You were seduced by the informality of the email system and were trapped when your HT took it as formal notice. Seek union advice ASAP. xx

10. littlemissraw

You can get advice from your union without getting them involved. Its worth a chat. Delaying advice from them could make things more difficult down the line. x

11. cally1980

The email we were sent requested emailed responses and my school is not thinking of possible redundancies - they are expanding!

12. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

In that case respond to their email reply (or better still speak to the Head) and make it clear that yoiur response was NOT your resignation. Do it before they get round to advertising your job; they won't thank you for delaying in putting the record straight as adverts in TES are expensive!

13. cally1980

They have been advertising for a while already as there are a number of vacancies and it is still my intention to move on. As much as I think I was misled into giving 'official' notice I do still want to seek part time work elsewhere. I don't really want to jeopardise the rest of my NQT year & reference by causing a fuss. Thanks for the advice everyone x

14. littlemissraw

So what if you don't find a job? x

15. cally1980

Supply, TA... Im sure something will turn up! I live in London so there are good transport links :) I think the official-ness of it just blind sided me a bit and sent me into a bit of a panic!

16. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I would imagine thta the majority of staff have 'intentions' for the near future (to work p/t, to be HOD, to take early retirement, to live abroad etc) but they don't generally resign from the jobs that they need until they have their next career/life stage secured.
    There would be plenty of time for your school to advertise and get someone else for September if you secured a new job and handed in your notice by 31st May 2011.
    You must tell your Head that you were simply informing them that you will be looking for p/t work and that your resignation will follow in due course IF you are successful.
    Your Induction should not be affected by any of the above.

17. littlemissraw

I agree with jubilee. You just need to look on the supply/unemployed forum (yes I'm on there!) to see things are pretty dire. Please don't leap from the frying pan into the fire! Just start the hunt and do your best to leave but let them know it was just your intentions NOT your resignation xx

18. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'd take the advice of the several experienced teachers who are replying here. Unless you really can afford to be unemployed in September, you'd better not hand in your official notice until you've secured another job.
    If you do give notice, be sure to state that your resignation is effective as of 31st August, thus ensuring you get paid through the summer.